••Wireless network for dial-up? (subtitled: Non-Geek-Speaking Woman Needs Geeky help)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by jeaniesing, Nov 5, 2004.

1. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Wireless networking for dial-up? (subtitled: Non-Gee-Speaking Woman Needs Geeky help)

I live in a far-away and nearly unimaginable land of ONLY dial-up access... I know... hard to imagine... but its true all the same!

I need to create a wireless network in my home and I'm clueless! I've researched and read and searched... and I get conflicting information at every turn.

Can anyone help? Lay out a simple plan? I worry about overtaxing this old 98 machine (and want to wait a few more months before replacing it) but a used laptop is coming my way soon... and I want some FREEDOM from the office area!
  2. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

I would recommened getting Windows XP, as it will should make setting up your wireless network much easier than using Windows 98, plus Windows XP is significanly more stable than 98.

Windows XP includes serveral very infomative articles about seting up a home network. Goto Start -> Help and Support then do a search for "walkthrough" it should find one called "Walkthough: Home Networking" this has all the information that you should need.
  3. MarkB

MarkB New Member

Id agree with CyberCat! Upgrading to XP would make life a lot easier!

But iv set up my fair share of 98 networks, so if ya need help PM me and ill try to help! ;)
  4. jeaniesing

I greatly appreciate the offer Mark B and may very well take you up on that! Now that I've "almost" set up the other computer to my taste I'm considering wiping the old one clean... and then I may just install XP...

But CyberCat... all of the info I find is based on having a DSL and/or cable connection - highspeed options are not really.... options!
  5. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Hmm, how are you wanting to setup your network?

Do you have your desktop computer contected to the internet (via modem) and you want to get wireless access to the desktop from the laptop so you can share an internet connection?

What I'm trying to ask is what is the main reason you're wanting to get wireless networking. Are you just wanting to be able to get internet on the portable computer? Or are you wanting to share files? Play games?

:)
  6. JeffS

JeffS New Member

You can set up a wireless network among your PC's and have once PC with a modem and then use that connection. Rather than having the wireless router provide the IP address and gateway info hardcode your own IP addresses and on each of the other stations put the IP address for the machine with the modem as your default gateway. You'll also need to put in the DNS info for these other stations. You can get that from your ISP or you can go to the machine with the modem, connect to your ISP and run ipconfig /all and it should tell you all you need. Put those DNS settings on your other machines and it should work fine.
  7. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Man, that post looks clear as mud. PM or email me if you have any questions. :)
  8. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Well put, Jeff. :thumbsup:

Though it might be a little bit confusing for our blue friend. ;)
  9. jeaniesing

I promise I'll try to muddle through tomorrow either way... thank you my dear men :)
  10. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

That sounds reasonable. Holler if you get in a spot. :)
  11. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Yep, we're all here to help you if you should need it. ;)

And good luck! :thumbsup: