•|•|•Lyrics Contest >>Poll Closed<<•|•|•

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by jeaniesing, Mar 23, 2003.

?

lyrics

1. MOTE's [url=http://board.midibuddy.net/attachment.php?s=&postid=81011]japan1945[/url] ..............

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. dcd's [url=http://board.midibuddy.net/attachment.php?s=&postid=81616]eternal[/url] .................

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. MDniteStryKR's [url=http://board.midibuddy.net/attachment.php?s=&postid=181610]overthrown[/url] ...

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

•|•|•Lyrics Contest•|•|•

Lyrics Contest

This contest has 2 ways to enter, but a few things remain consistent throughout.
    1. The lyrics you enter must be entirely original and your own work, and must deal with some aspect of world climate (for example: war, peace, oppression, inhumanity, brotherhood, solidarity and I’m sure many others, PM me with specific questions…..)
    2. The lyrics must be imbedded on track 4 of a MIDI file so as to be viewed in a standard karaoke player (process for this varies by program - feel free to ask for advice of other members)
    3. The finished product must be attached in this thread by midnight Saturday, April 12th

Ways to enter…
    1. Compose an original piece of music with original lyrics as per limitations above
    2. Use a MIDI already in existence (but NOT one available in the hittrax catalog!) and create original lyrics – no significant portion of the original lyrics can remain.

How it’ll be judged….
    All posted entries will then be judged for eligibility (by me, an I'll be looking for correct format and subject matter) then posted in a poll. If there are more than 10 entries (I’m an optimist!) the entries will be divided evenly between multiple polls and the top scorers will be merged in a finalist poll.

Prizes….
    A coalition has been formed for the purpose of offering bigger and better prizes, So, $1200 for the winner, $800 for second. $600 for third and $100 all non-winning eligible entries… (Anyone else wanna join the prize coalition?)

Other…..
    You may enter more than once, but no more than 3 times, and only 1 prize will be awarded to a person, it will be the highest for which you are eligible (for example, if enter 3 times and 1 of those entries wins second place - your total prize amount will be $800 so as not to break Jeanie's Bank)"
    Changes/refinements to these rules will be edited into this post and a notification will be placed at the end of the thread... Happy Writing!

:hurries off to click tavenger's $100 link just to be sure the prize money will be there:
    :click, click, click:
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2003
  2. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

Great Idea Jeanie I'll back you with MB$
    What ever Jeanie shells I'll shell out the same that means:
    1200MB$ for the winner
    800MB$ for second
    600MB$ for third
    and 100MB$ for everyone else that enters
  3. jeaniesing

Then I'll edit including your donations (yay King! :))
  4. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

Japan 1945

This is the Rock vertion of Hiroshima renamed [textglow]Japan 1945.[/textglow] I don't think i could ever get the words to be placed on the right note, because of the editor software. but here it goes........[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2003
  5. jeaniesing

HOOORAH the first entry!!!!

And note a change in the "rules" as per a question brought up by our dear MOTE ;)
  6. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

actually i'm not taking it out of my own pocket but from the MB bank.
  7. jeaniesing

Well then I'll be all that much poorer a month from now :(
  8. dustikitten

dustikitten New Member

wow

Hey, that sounds like fun! But, dang.... I have no way of programing anything into a midi format. ::sad: But, I've come up with some great alternatives of lyrics to Bon Jovi songs.. and others too.. but dang- I bet you have most of them in the store? *frowns and looks at the ground*
    I sooooooooooooooooooooooo wanna do this!!!!!
    Any suggestions- if there is any way I can???
  9. jeaniesing

Ummmmmm....... try the noteworthy composer website, they have a 15 day demo...... and check the software forum for other freeware/shareware programs that might help you out! It's hard for someone else to put your words in a song.... you can't tell what the lyricist intended alot of the time..... Think opf this as your challenge to learn and do something new! (And remember.... "world climate"!!)
  10. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

I might join in but just for the heck of it and to learn how to sequence eventually (I'll have to do so without a keyboard). I don't know if I have time or not. I got quite alot to do now. Oh one more thing is that I'm just doing this for fun if I have time, and I don't want to be part of the entrants because I'm helping to fund this contest.
  11. jeaniesing

What the heck King - be part of it!!!! You don't need to sequence to do it, that was the whole point of the idea - to make it available to all :). The winners will be chosen by poll, and 1/2 the prize is coming from the MB bank - not you personally - so there's no suspicion of foul play.... I'm going to TRY to learn how to link the MIDI in the poll so as to even leave out usernames...... (note the "TRY" there ;))

Do it!!!!!!!!!! You oughtta have some fun around here!
  12. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

umm actually, I'm just planning on messing around that's all.
  13. MDniteStryKR

MDniteStryKR I'll come back to you when I'm dead! Staff Member Super Mod

can i post just lyrics without being imbedded in2 a midi?
    it's something i wrote and i don't have the melody done yet..and i haven't the slightest idea how the hell to compose a midi..
    btw, jeanie i pmed u but u haven't replied so i thought i'd just ask u here..is lyrics on someone's feelings considered as world climate?
  14. dcd

dcd MB Tripper

I didn't really want to enter the contest but I've done something which I know is not really up to mark. I had a wee bit of a problem technically, so my MIDI file is not really great. I am going to post it nonetheless. It doesn't have to be part of the contest.

My first MIDI composition: Unchain Eternity

Attached Files:

15. jeaniesing

I 've gotta stick to my guns on this one and say that yes, you have to imbed it for the contest. If you want to share lyrics without the MIDI issue you can do so in the lyrics forum... but I want to challenge you to learn how to sequence!!! most of the programs have drag-drop options that allow you to hear one note at a time until you're happy with what you've done. Even if you don't have some big pro-sounding thing when you're done you've composed and commited it to ..... electrons ;). That in itself is an accomplishment! :)

Whoops - must be from when my PM box was full :)mad:new limits :mad: coulda warned me :mad: ) I'm not sure..... if its how you feel about something happening in the world.... ummmmm... probably! If its that you feel sad 'cause its Monday and raining and your potential perfect man is dating the thinks-she-so-hot girl down the street.... probably not..... ;)

YAY dcd!!!!!! Gonna go listen/read :) :) ;)
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  16. MDniteStryKR

thnx jeanie..
    oh well..the song i wrote's bout one's feelings about one's self...
    obviously not world climate..hhmm..what should i do??...ok..i'll try to write sumthing..just for fun...but i have to know what software can i use to imbed the lyrics in2 an existing midi..and what software can i use to sequence a midi..i'm really blur on this midi stuff cuz i never had anything 2 do with midis till i joined this forum..
    :confused:
  17. jeaniesing

I did a little research.... none of these programs are tested, guaranteed, or recommended per say, just a starting point :)

here's Noteworthy http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/

here's another program which is good for writing a MIDI if you're a beginner (not too many bells and whistles and it won't embed lyrics)
    http://rhythm.harmony-central.com/~ftp/software/windows/misc/musculpt.zip

haven't tried this but it looks good, specifically for creating karaoke files (which would be acceptable in this contest ;))
    http://agrgic.tripod.com/midix.htm
  18. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

19. MDniteStryKR

okie..thnx..i'll get to work as soon as i can..
  20. MDniteStryKR

Here's mine..

here's my entry..none of u probably know it unless u've played Final Fantasy X and reached the final battle..it's originally called Other World but my version is entitled Overthrown..the midi ain't that good cuz i had only 3 quarter of it and had to add the rest myself..i also added the melody myself but i din't use the exact notes cuz i needed the melody only to enter the lyrics..and the instruments are horrible cuz anvil studio which i used 2 embed lyrics doesn't support overdriven guitar or other instruments...but heck, this is a lyrics contest and not a midi contest...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2003