Acoustic Guitar Harmonics in GM?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by ZelRiptha, Nov 7, 2003.

1. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Hey folks,

I'm sequencing a song that's pure acoustic guitar, and the playing involves some harmonics. The only "harmonics" provided by GM synths are electric guitar harmonics, so I'm making due (barely) with a Shamisen sound (which is fairly similar). Does anyone have any tricks to make a realistic acoustic guitar harmonic sound without resorting to imitative alternate instruments? Or maybe there's a better imitation? Thanks in advance!

ZR

BTW, I'm using an XG synth, so wouldn't mind at all an XG-only implementation.
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Does GM patch #31 not do the trick?
  3. ZelRiptha

GM patch 31 is harmonics for an electric guitar - have a listen and make sure I'm not crazy. :)

I've attached a sample. It repeats 4 times. The first is patch 31, unaltered. The next two are XG bank changes, first bank 64, patch 31 (AcoHarmo - seems promising?) then bank 66, patch 31 (GtrHrmo2). The fourth and last is the shamishen, which sounds closest to an acoustic harmonic of the bunch to me.

But the shamisen serves reasonably well. I just wondered if any other folks have solved this problem in a different way.

Attached Files:

4. ZelRiptha

5. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I should read more carefully. I do not have an XG synth, so I can not provide any support.
  6. ZelRiptha

It's okay Zandro. I am talking about GM patches. The XG patches in the file will simply fall into the closest banked sound on a GM or GS synth. Anyway, the file should sound correct for you as well, as long as your synth is capable of GM reproduction - almost all are.

This is simply a matter of opinion anyway, and I'd value yours. :)
  7. frchung

frchung New Member

I'm using a Roland Sound Canvas SC88 Pro sound module, and a little tweak to that midi file to get the sound of an proper acoustic guitar harmonic sounds great. Though the Shamisen sound may be a bit close, it can be quite difficult to get another sound to match it if your synth or sound module don't have the proper harmonic.
    I agree the GM patch #31, which is the electric guitar harmonics, sounds very far from the acoustic guitar harmonics, which sounds closer to the Shamisen, or even the Banjo.

hmm i guess you'll need more tweaking to the Shamisen, good luck...
  8. gebby

gebby Member

I have the Roland M-GS64, the rack version of the SC88, and have had luck using the Patch 32 Bank 016 (2048) Ac.Gt. Harmnx.
    Also, I use Patch 100 Atmosphere - Banks 0, 002 (256) Nylon Harp, 003 (384) Harpvox.
    Any of these can be tweaked further if you have an on screen editor that allows access to the filter and resonance parameters.
    Hope this helps.
  9. ZelRiptha

Thanks Gebby, that does help. It sounds like Roland is a better answer for me when I need this sound. I found that an optional Bank 65 Patch 31 sound in some higher-end XG implementations might do the trick, but my synth doesn't support it. I appreciate everyone's time to help!

ZR