Ad-Aware VS Spybot S&D

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sentertainme, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Sentertainme

Sentertainme New Member

I have been using Ad-Aware for a LONG time and I just recently downloaded Spybot.

Ad-aware seemed to be such a great program, perfection...
    but Spybot has detected alot of stuff (and shown alot of options for deleting logs, etc.) that Ad-aware hasn't!

I'm kinda curious, does Ad-Aware find stuff Spybot doesn't too?

It seems that Ad-Aware has a more advanced scanning engine, but Spybot has more options and a wider range of what it calls "spyware".

I know one thing for sure about both...
    Ad-Aware has a realtime scanning engine (Better Scanning Engines)
    Spybot has a more advanced interface (More Options)

User that have tried both, Post your opinions and reviews here!
    (I'm kinda undecided which I like more...)
  2. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Have used Spybot for a long time and just last week using AdAware 6 for the first time and both found things that the other missed. Elsewhere in the Computers section forum there are a variety of post on this topic. I definitely will use them both from now on.
  3. Zandro

Zandro New Member

...And that's the end of our story. Seriously, you guys figured out the best strategy for prevention of Spyware/Adware. High five!
  4. conradcliff

conradcliff New Member

I have used ad-aware for a while. I tried spybot the other day and couldn't get it to work.
  5. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Been using both. Started with Spybot, but then became sold on Ad Aware. Do both, it's worth it.
  6. Chaffers

Chaffers New Member

Been using spy-bot for a few months now....
    Are there extra features on Ad-aware? Must experiment...
  7. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Ad-Aware picks up sypware and adware entries SB S&D misses, and vice versa.
  8. poodel

poodel New Member

Best solution - use both Spybot and Adaware. Just in case ;)
  9. Zandro

Zandro New Member

UPDATE: Spyware Blaster is now on my batting lineup for one good reason: although the program does not directly remove spyware and adware entries, it sets up protections against hundreds of common and obscure forms including trojans in prevention of absorbing them in the first place. Download the proggy here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
  10. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Spybot has a section that does that as well. I just don't know how it would measure up against Spyware Blaster.
  11. gnets99

gnets99 New Member

I tried Ad-Aware and it seemed to want to wipe out alot of files that were actually needed to run certain progams.
  12. Sentertainme

Sentertainme New Member

Spyware Blaster: Thanks for the tip, seems nice!

Spyware Blaster Blocks, it doesn't provide full removal of what is already there...so I guess these three work together!
    (At least I have all three!)
  13. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Spyware is added to certain programs and if the spyware is removed, the programs they are imbedded in will not work. On certain programs, you can remove the spyware and get a registry fix so the programs will function, but you have to search around for the info to do this. Good luck.
  14. Sentertainme

Sentertainme New Member

Mostly 75% of all spyware I get is renovable without removing the actual program...most programs that have spyware aren't even worth keeping!:cool2:
  15. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

I agree. For the time and effort to remove the spyware and fix the registry, you'll find a dozen other programs that will easily replace the one you're trying to fix up.
  16. scarlethawk

scarlethawk New Member

Ok, I use Spybot S+D and Adaware at the same time.
    It works pretty good. But if there's something that is really bugging me, I use the trial version of PestPatrol, but because it's not free, you have to manually delete registry keys it catches. Although its annoying, that is a good way to rid your computer.

"I tried Ad-Aware and it seemed to want to wipe out alot of files that were actually needed to run certain progams."
    -I dont think so...
  17. Sentertainme

Sentertainme New Member

Also...PC-Cillin (Renamed to Internet Security) also works great!
    This prog has a 30-day trial (isn't free), but if you go in and change settings...
    Watching for Spyware is disabled by default, but I can catch sooo much if you enable it!
    It sucks at removing spyware, but I blocks the actions of spyware programs real well!!!
  18. light1986

light1986 New Member

I use the best triad of Spyware removal/provention. Ad-ware 6 Pro, Spybot S&D, and Spywareblaster. They are the best, no doubt.

In fact, when Ad-Aware does a search, it temporaily copies the file into it's cache, and in doing so, it allows my Anti-Virus (that's monitoring every new file) to catch any hidden viruses it hadn't found before.
  19. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

"I tried Ad-Aware and it seemed to want to wipe out alot of files that were actually needed to run certain progams."

-- yeah i doubt that very much
  20. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

For those who don't know, Spybot has a new main program. You have to download the new version from the site (the updater on the old version doesn't register it).

I think the newer version is much better in grouping the spyware in categories.

Have fun.