Ad-Aware VS Spybot S&D

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sentertainme, Feb 19, 2004.

1. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

Hey guys, Ive just cottoned on to this stuff too. I'm using both Spybot S&D and Adaware 6. Spywareblaster and Spywareguard.

You guys mentioned Spywareblaster. Spywareguard is another one you can add to your batting lineup -

'SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs.
    SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources.
    SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation and browser hijack attempts. Both have free ongoing updates.'

More info and download is available at:
    SpywareBlaster: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2859
    SpywareGuard: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3045
  2. Nyx

Nyx New Member

I couldn't get Spybot to work, so i use Ad-aware!
  3. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Really? What was the problem, for it is important to be able to use both programs at any time.
  4. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

I don't really have spyware problems since I've switched to Firefox, it really seems to help. :)
  5. Surye

Surye New Member

CyberCat has the right idea. People focus to much on detection and removal then prevention. This is very unproductive thinking, and, at least in a corperate environment, extreamly expensive.
  6. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

That's kinda like saying, "I have a firewall so I really don't need an antivirus program". Any software that will prevent spyware is great, but 100% protection. That's why a lot of us use 2 or more spyware removal program as well as trying to protect ourselves. (Spybot has a section on prevention built in, but I really don't know how good it really is).
  7. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Actually I do use a good sepreate firewall and anti-virus software. Plus, i still do spyware scans with ad-aware and spybot. And I've noticed that using Firefox (plus using good sense on what you install) does seem to greatly reduce the amount of spyware that needs to be removed.
  8. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

i've used spybot and ad-ware but nothing compares to ugh.. i can't believe i'm saying this but microsofts adware program, i can't believe what it finds, even spybot and ad-ware does even notice that stuff.
  9. BarryC

BarryC New Member

They both find stuff each other doesn't use Internet Explorer for too long and check it out, only use Mozilla and both of them, they are great; plus go download SpySweeper, even better than both of those 2, 30 day trial for free
  10. Sentertainme

Sentertainme New Member

I've had spyware actually kill my spyware removers...try downloading it again, If I recall spyware managed to kill Spybot on my system. I just re-downloaded it!
    It would give me an error that it couldn't remove anything, and I just kept wondering why...then I found out some spyware will actually kill it!
  11. Nah!

Nah! New Member

Both can catch things the other can miss. Although the world of viruses and spyware is constantly changing, so you can never be 100% safe, using both these great programs can greatly reduce your chances of your computer becoming infected.
  12. dz66

dz66 New Member

i use both and have been satisfied with them. luckily there is an auto scan feature, i am horrible with remembering to scan on a regular basis.
  13. taff

taff New Member

I find it is necessary to use both Spybot and AdAware - they work in perfect harmony with each other.
    Would always recommend that both programs are used regularly.