Advice for quieting a noisy PC?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by CyberCat, May 7, 2007.

1. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Hey, so I've just recently been upgrading all the gear in my "project studio" and I plan to start doing some serious recording/mixing soon.

A few months ago I built a new music workstation (i.e. PC) the problem is that it's quite noisy due to all the fans in it, which it really requires due to it's high performance parts. It has 3 120mm fans in the case, 2 video cards each with ~80mm fans, PSU with 1 120mm and 1 80mm, and CPU with 1 80mm. That's eight fans total. As you can imagine this machine makes a lot of noise, you can even hear it out in the hall!

So this is a real problem since it makes it very difficult to monitor my mixes accurately, and recording vocals is also a problem due to the background noise.

Has anybody had this problem before and knows of some good (hopefully inexpensive) ways of dealing with this problem?
  2. webber1

webber1 New Member

noisy pc

I had the same problem with my pc and there is only 1 solutions cheap solution. Get the tower in another room with extension cables for the mouse and keyboard if neccicary and have cables going through the wall. This may sound a bit drastic but you can run the cables under the wall by cutting holes in the floor on either side of the wall. This works best as all the noise is in another room. Just dont ever be tempted to put your tower in a box or cubourd as other people have done as this is a very large fire risk. Your computer needs lots of air to keep cool and not blow up!:)