All in one effects pedal?

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by codeman604, Mar 11, 2003.

1. codeman604

codeman604 New Member

Hi there,

I'm new and was wondering what I should look for in an all in one effects pedal for my electric guitar?

Thanks,
    Cody
  2. axeman

axeman New Member

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/

This site is really good for actual user reviews on pedals etc. These are reviews written by people who have had the pedal for a while and can warn you of any pitfalls that happen a year after buying it etc.

I used to have a multi-effects pedal myself (Digitech RP6), and it was a really good unit, except for the fact that after a while the pedal switches worked their way loose from the circuit board inside, and the whole effects box was useless coz I couldn't switch effects! I got the switches resoldered, but it kept on coming loose, and in the end I just couldn't be bothered to use what was fast becoming an unreliable unit, so I changed my setup to individual pedal effects. A really stupid letdown for what was a great unit. So personally, I would say build quality is a good thing to look for in a pedal. Quality of the effects themselves are all pretty good nowadays, only in a few cases do the pedals sound really bad. Make sure you try before you buy.
  3. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

I've heard some BOSS and Digitech pedalboards that sound very nice.
  4. Stilcrazy

Stilcrazy Just a Regular Midi Guy

I use the GT6 ... I am very happy with it ...
  5. james

james New Member

I use a boss gt5. This pedal was brought out years ago and has been the industry standard for a long time. I cannot find a single fault with it from purchase price to overall effects it's great.
    Never used a gt6 but my mate has one and has said that some overdrive and distortion settings are not quite as good. but as has been said try before you buy you will find the right one for you
  6. Dallas Aussi

Dallas Aussi New Member

Do the Boss pedals have the same switching probs the Digitech stuff seems to have? and do they have a delay between patches?
  7. s352768

s352768 New Member

I've read a few setups that various pros have used and it appears that almost all of them use rack mounted effects rather than multi effect foot pedals. Anyon know why this is?
  8. st00deo

st00deo New Member

its basically because foot pedals are built cheaper...i prefer real analog effects though as all the digital ones i have tried seem to sound cheesy
  9. midifromza

midifromza New Member

I find that the distortion patches on the Boss GT range of pedals (comparing my son's GT3 to my old Boss ME10) seem a bit thin and lifeless. I'm still using my old ME 10 - been gigging it for almost 10 years now and its still going strong.

My recommendation for a multi effects unit today would be the Line6 POD - great sounding unit, even straight into the PA.

If its only distortion/overdrive sounds that you're looking for, try out a Jekyll & Hyde pedal at your local music shop.
  10. nperjanik

nperjanik New Member

3 words: BOSS is good
  11. Midi Doc

Midi Doc New Member

I've used the Boss GT5 for some time now... the only prob i've come across is i had to resolder the power wire back on.

its overall effects are genius (and i always said i'd never get rid of my individual 9 volt pedals)...the acoustic simulator is great (must make sure your amp can do this effect justice (the amp i had when i first had the pedal couldnt handle it)

i think the only downside, which was rectified on the newer models, is the lack of an up/down bank pedal.

all in all i loved this pedal so much i risked the wrath of my wife cuz i wanted....no i needed it and couldnt possibly ever gig again without it
    :thumbsup:
  12. treszoks

treszoks New Member

I've got an old Zoom 3000 that I traded an old bass to a friend for. It's all right. I think that if you really want the best effects though you need to get the single pedals for each effect.
  13. bazzer

bazzer New Member

I used to use a Zoom 506, Mk I, I guess you'd call it now. It's OK, not super, but at the price it seems good. Real easy to use. It's for bass obviously, but my friend bought the 505 at the same time and I'd rate that about the same. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but if you're on a budget it might be worth a look in.
  14. roblesb

roblesb New Member

I have a digitech RP2000, I use it to record in pro tools, I like that one because it has the SPDIF digital output, it is very clean even with a lot of gain and distortion and that is great for recorging, the digitech distortion is not the best of both worlds but it is OK for what I´m doing, it also has the whammy effect which is cool.
  15. radakiel

radakiel New Member

I use the Boss GT3 and this is excelent multi fx processor
  16. auspierre

auspierre New Member

I have been using a Boss GT5 since my old GP16 started playing up about 4 or 5 years ago. It's still going strong, and I play it straight through the PA with the midi backing.
    Only problem is the power cable needs some attention - keeps turning itself off when the cable is knocked.

I'd be curious to hear any comparisons between the GT5 and GT6 by people who have used/owned both.
  17. auspierre

auspierre New Member

I forgot to mention I got the Boss pedal over the Digitech because there was a delay in the patch changing when you stomped the pedal on the Digitech. The Boss has never had that problem. In fact at one stage I was using midi messages to change GT5 patches, which would be impossible with the delay in the Digitech.
    I also have used a Digitech vocal harmoniser with midi switching for chordal harmonies, and found I had to program patch changes a little ahead to allow for the delay.
    I haven't tried the new Digitech pedals though, so I don't know if they've fixed the problem. Gotta try them out I guess!
  18. mcbastian

mcbastian New Member

i have an old yamaha fx770 with the yamaha pedal (fp2).
    its good programmable.
  19. linkinparkee

linkinparkee New Member

i have a zoom 707II, and a zoom 505. My 505 is for back up incase something would ever happen to my 707II, but i would never trade my 707II for the world. its the best!
  20. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

I use a Roland GR100 rackmount with a ART X-15 midi footboard and it rocks. Bit annoying to program, but worth the sound.