AMD crashes

Discussion in 'Computers' started by fashd, Dec 8, 2004.

1. fashd

fashd New Member

I have an AMD Amthlon computer than crashes randomly, I know from an online help site that its not just my computer that does it. This problem seems common among other AMD athlon users, does anyone else have this problem, and have you found a method to fix it?
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

If an AMD gets too hot, it is certainly prone to crash. Does it have the proper ventilation, and is the fan keeping it below 65°C? The fan should be spinning at least 3000 RPM to maintain that. There is sometimes a CPU on-die temperature reading available from the motherboard BIOS that can tell you.

It might help to know what else you are using. Software, motherboard, operating system, etc.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  3. lauraxx

lauraxx New Member

Amd

no soz i dunt hav a crap computa (no offence!):p
  4. fashd

fashd New Member

Firstly, thanks for the input :)

Well, my fan spins at 4900rpm, but if I leave the computer on for long periods its temperature does exceed 65°C.

Here is further information about my system:

Win Xp Home Edition (Service Pack 2)
    1.67 GHZ (AMD Athlon XP 2000+)
    256RAM
    32 Mb Graphics
    40 GB Hard Disk
  5. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Then perhaps you should set it to go into standby mode after a certain idle period.
  6. fashd

fashd New Member

That may help, however if I try and play any games after the computer has been on for over an hour it crashes (locks up) even if I left it in a stand by mode state, the same thing happens.
    :(
  7. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Try to get more room and free movement of air behind the computer. If it's backed up completely to the wall, it will get much hotter than if you give it a couple inches.

Any errors messages? If XP gives a code, I'd like to hear of it.
  8. fashd

fashd New Member

My Computer is back up against the wall but at one point I did try moving it, but still after a few hours of on time and it crashes.

In relation to the error message, there isnt one. The computer simply locks up and I have to turn it off and back on.

Thanks again for replying :)
  9. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Try this: http://www.kiki-koko.com/cpueatncool/
    It's not a miracle program, and there are setbacks (such as the fact that it literally degrades the performance of your computer as it works), but there isn't any other way I've found that doesn't cost money. If it's not to your liking, I recommend you install another intake fan in your case and clean the CPU fan with a cotton swab/Q-tip. Good luck.

On a side note, you can always do it the Hillbilly way if you live in a cool climate: http://www.overclockers.com/tips251/ :p
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  10. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

if you have a high performance proccessor you might want to invest in a few more fans and a better heatsink.
  11. fashd

fashd New Member

Thanks for the help, its much appreciated :)
  12. tensai

tensai New Member

it could also be that your heatsink needs to be reseated.. run it for a while, turn it off, take off the heatsink and put it back on.

if when you put it back on it doesn't latch on, then you need to get a new mount (costs like 10-15).

while you're at it.. dust your computer too.
  13. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Replacing and checking fans is good as heatsink fans can fail. Have you checked your power supply is up to supplying the power needed without dipping as the 12v and 5v rails can fluctuate and case instability.
  14. dayamdave

dayamdave New Member

first thread i ever saw about amd's sucking....

my 3000+ is running smooth as butter at 2.53ghz
  15. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Sir, they do NOT suck. My solution since taking part in this topic has changed to the use of S2kControl, a program that can disconnect the CPU from the system bus by the Northbridge while in the Halt or Stop Grant state.

Direct download link:
    http://www.stargaz0r.nm.ru/files/s2kctl15b101.zip
  16. Adrenachrome

Adrenachrome Not Banned

Seems like I'm always the one to be an asshole and call bullS--. (I forget if the cursing is against the rules..)

AMD is not prone to crashing, this sounds more like a memory error.
    It will not over heat at idle, if that were the case, it would crash before it ever loads your operating system, if it over heats at all it will over heat while under a heavy load.
    AMD processors will run practicly forever with the original installation of the stock heatsink and fan, given that it is clear of dust, and running at stock clock speeds.

If you upgraded your cooling, I wouldn't call it a waste, it can prolong the life of your entire machine anyway.. This sounds alot more like memory or video processor problems to me, how's it running now?