Another MIDI drum question...

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by ZelRiptha, Nov 13, 2002.

1. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

My experience is that it depends on the program..... I can, in one program, have several channels of drums (which I need when I'm creating - coordination and I aren't in bed together very often), but if I forget to change them all to channel 10 before I pop-em in at school I'll have a bass drum plus a cacophony of atonal piano rhythm......

I'm horrible about using several programs to accomplish what I want. If I don't know where this or that controller is in one I'll just open the file in another!
  2. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

To change the panning of the individual drumsounds, you'll have to use some controller combinations. The combination of controllers depends on the system you are using. If your tone generator is not in any particular protocol, you'll have to read the midi specs in your manual. But the most used protocols are Roland GS and Yamaha XG (in fact it's GM, but there are no controllers specified to change the panning of the drum instruments in GM).

If you have a GS or XG compatible sound generator, use this controllers to do the job:
    cc 99 28 (= NRPN)
    cc 98 [keynumber] (= select the drumsound you want)
    cc 06 [pan value] (with center = 64)

Hope this is the anwer to your question,
    Alain
    www.mididesign.be
  3. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Yes, I think you're right. My synth is XG compatible, and I can do some fancy controller panning of individual percussion notes. This will do if I make an MP3 on this machine, but it won't play on anyone else's machine unless they have the same XG compatibility. Thanks for the info, though! (I will probably resort to this, better than no solution!)

ZR
  4. ch1char0n

ch1char0n New Member

i dont think it can be done either...
  5. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

You can use different channels on some sound cards or tone generators.
    I use a Yamaha MU90R, and I sometimes have drums on different channels.

I'll leave a midifile on here in a little bit that you can look at to see. It's done in XG. (I think it's the only way to do it).

Hope it helps
  6. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Hope you can open and take a look at what I did. Hope it helps and good luck to you. It only works in XG.

Attached Files:

7. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your taking the time to help.