Any problems with using win98 software with XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by saxmidiman, Oct 27, 2004.

1. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Having great headaches with my laptop breaking down and now I'm gonna pick one up that uses XP. I only have 98 capable software, but I believe it will work on XP. (I did use the "upgrade advisor" from microsoft).

I just have concerns about using my older version of Cakewalk and Band In A Box with XP. Does anyone have any experience they could share?:(
  2. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I've used Cakewalk 6 in Win XP Pro with no ill effects.
  3. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Thanks Zel. Just wanted to know. I feel a little better about it all now.
  4. ZelRiptha

Even if you have some difficulties, XP has some compatibility features built-in to allow Win95 and Win98 software to run properly. I've only had to use these features for a few titles, though (mostly games). If you right click on an executable file and choose properties, there should be a compatibility tab of some sort with options. :)
  5. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

Yup, I'm using those on XP Pro now, too (later versions though)... and had no problems with 98 software either.

Did I understand that you were not upgrading the laptop from 98 to XP ...rather purchasing a new laptop with XP right?
  6. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

I don't like XP very much, but it runs all of my Win98 programs fine. It won't ru most DOS programs.
  7. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

I just bought a laptop with XP.

The only software that had any problems were my virtual synths I have. I'll have to look at getting the newer soft synths.

Anybody have any preferences for soft synths. (I can't use Soundfonts, so please don't torment me with that recommenation. I've heard great things about their use, but alas, I'm stuck without)
  8. Zandro

Zandro New Member

No SynthFont? It doesn't require any special hardware engines.. not even a sound card, for that matter.
  9. ZelRiptha

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  10. ZelRiptha

11. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

I'm curious, (like my sig says) why can't you use soundfonts? It doesn't require anything special.
  12. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I find the Laptop with home XP seems to run fine with old versions like Word 97 and Publisher, even Family Tree Maker. I must check out the Synthfonts, they sound good.
  13. Zandro

Zandro New Member

SynthFont is a program, that emulates the EMU-10Kx surprisingly well. It loads SoundFonts by patch or by bank and plays a MIDI with it. No external usage, however... even with MIDI Yoke and/or VSampler virtual cables. :/ I hope he gets those problems fixed so that I can permanently get away from the evil Creative drivers.