Anyone need help using cubase?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by The Keeper, Aug 26, 2002.

1. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

I'm a new member,I've been using cubase for years, anyone got any questions or need help with something to do with cubase, no doubt there's plenty of members who can help
    http://clix.to/davewalker
    go here and click on the midifiles button to hear samples of what I've done in cubase.
  2. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Funny you should bring this topic up Merlin.
    I just got a PM from Gitta, who is having problems importing a MIDI into Cubase -
    Maybe you two should talk :thumbsup:
  3. bluesplayer

bluesplayer New Member

what is the difference between velocity and volume , and what settings do you adhere to regaurding the main controllers , ie , pan vol vel rev etc .Have you any tips to share .........?
  4. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

velocity is how hard you hit a note, volume is set at the start of the track(controller 7) and sets the overall volume of the track.
    you can change the volume of the track in any place you like, if you want to pull back the volume level at a certain spot in the song, but a controller called 'expression(controller 11)' is better for that.
    if you are a working entertainer using midfiles, it's best to keep everything as uniform as possible. i use the following formula

1. drums - volume 110
    2. bass - 109
    3. keys - 110
    4. everything else, set the volume controller to your own taste.
    next velocities. I use logical (hit control-L) to set the velocities and randomize them.hilight the track you want to randomize the velocities on. bring up logical.
    1. set event type to equal/note
    2. set processing/value 2, change keep to random
    3. change the first 0 to 100, 2nd 0 to 110
    4. click the 'do it' button
    this will randomly set all the velocities of all the notes to a velocity of between 100 and 110. the graeter the difference between the numbers, the more you will hear the difference in the loudness and softness of the notes. try doing it on a piano track, and set the numbers between 30 and 100, and you'll really hear the difference.

now go to edit/list. this brings up the internal settings of the tracks. in the drum track, go edit, list, and click on C1 or B0, these are the numbers for the kick drum. click on c1(or b1) then hit control L.
    1. make sure 'event type' is 'equal' and 'note'
    2. under value 1 change 'ignore' to 'equal'
    change the 0 to 35 or 36(you'll see the note number come up beside it-b0 or c1)
    3. set processing/value 2 to random, 100, 110
    click do it.
    this will set your velocities on the kick drum to between 100 and 110.
    i set the kick to 110/120
    hats - 80/100
    bass guitar - 110/120
    cymbals - 100/110
    toms - 110/120
    if you use a set formula for drums and bass, the other instruments you can work in around them.
    with pan, if you are using a stereo system, set your drums and bass to centre(controller 10 - 64)
    other instruments swing to the left or right to separate the sounds.
    reverb is for personal taste too, i guess. i set it around 45 for the drums, bass i keep down around 20. i try to mimic the song i am copying as much as possible.

All of these things combine to make an average, or great sounding file, depending how much time you want to put in it. Play around in logical and see what the buttons do.
    :)
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2002
  5. bluesplayer

bluesplayer New Member

Big Thanks

Cheers matey for taking time out and advising me on this , youre a star ...........:)
  6. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

no problem, we're all here to help each other:thumbsup:
  7. smack

smack New Member

cubase sx

hi merlin,

i've just installed cubase sx, and i have problems with the soundsettings.. When using reason2 i have no latency from the midiboard, but in cubase. the green meter goes "up" when i play the midiboard, but the sound dont come until 1 second later.. i know i have a cheap soundcard, but since it works so well in reason..
    i hope you know exactly what to do.. :)
  8. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

cubase sucks a lot of power, I wonder if it might be your video card, not the sound card.. what do you reckon, tpearl5
  9. lostin310

lostin310 New Member

I'm really new to Cubase and just wanted to make sure I'm going in the right direction... I have a sequence and need to use a number of patches from some synths that are dual timbre (is that the right term?). What I figured I could do is solo the midi track and record to an audio track within the arrangement... Then I'd just do the same thing until I had an audio track for each of the the synth sounds in the song.

Is there a better way to do this?
  10. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

I'm not sure what you need to do?? if yourecord a midfile to audio, you are creating an audio track which will take up 30 to 40 meg of room, which is why you have midi tracks, they take up next to no room. Dual timbre(i think you mean multi timbral) means you can play more than one sound at a time, ie, bass - drums - piano, etc. The patch at the start of each track gives the track it's sound, volume, effects, etc. If you want to change a sound, highlight the track and hold down the control button and press 'G' at the same time. this will put you inside the track of the midifile you are looking at. change the program number to a different number, eg, 34 for bass, 2 for piano, etc. you need to find out the program numbers of the tracks on your synth, they will correspond to the program numbers in cubase. If you need more info, or i've read your posting wrong, post again and i'll try again :thumbsup:
  11. satrams

satrams New Member

cubase latency

Hey, that's pretty good of you to offer!
    I am not new to MIDI or recording techniques, but I'm trying to set up my Cubase system with an EZBus interface. It's basically an 8 channel digital mixer which uses 2 channel USB to talk to the computer. It also can work as a controll surface for Cubase and other programs.
    But there must be something basic I'm missing here as far as the simple task of overdubbing goes. (Sorry this isn't technically a MIDI question- but I was hoping you could give me some insight.)
    Like a lot of these units you are supposed to be able to do zero latency monitoring. But I've tried every possible routing arrangement and I still have delay between the new audio and the already recorded track as I try to record. Am I overlooking something basic here?
    Cubase is also locking up and crashing my computer when I am recording MIDI at times (the EZBus also has 2 MIDI ports and also uses USB to transmit MIDI) but that's a whole other issue.
    Thanks if you or anyone can shed some light on this.
  12. lostin310

lostin310 New Member

The two synths in question are the Korg MS2000 and EA-1... From what I've read, the MS2000 has a few modes of operation for a given program (patch)... One is "single" which allows only a single sound to be output... "split" allows spliting the keyboard such that half will play one sound and the other half will play a different sound... Apparently there is also a third mode called "dual" and it lets you create a program/patch with a timbre 1 and timbre 2 and then assign a seperate midi channel to play them concurrently (haven't got this working yet). The EA-1 lets you have two "parts" each of which is also controlled by a seperate midi channel and that works great. The problem comes in when need to actually play three sounds at the same time from one of these synths..
  13. Cheese On Toast

Cheese On Toast New Member

Hi,

I've just got hold of Cubase VST for the PC. I would like to create tracks with wavs before investing in any hardware but cant seem to get anything to work. How do I configure my set up to allow me to do this?

Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated,

Thanks.
  14. legendcasey

legendcasey New Member

Hey, im goign to sound like a prat now. Ive just got into midifiles very lately. My mate downloads them on to floppys puts them through a soundsource , fiddles them and puts them straight onto minidisk. I downloaded cubase cos i heard it is great. so how would i go about creating a midifile from scratch, i cant even get it to playback existing midifiles. im a newbie so any help would be greatly appreciated
  15. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

legendcasey, that could be any number of things. See if your windows media player will play the midifile first, that way you know the sound card is alright. Next import a midi into cubase, and try there. If no gio, start by going to the 'help' button at the top right corner and trying to find the problem there, it's too big a subject to try and guess without seeing it first hand
    :thumbsup:
  16. timmytimtim

timmytimtim New Member

Help!! using a controller with Cubase

I've got:

Cubase VST/32
    Roland A-37 Controller
    8x8 Midi Interface
    Roland XV-5050 Sound Module
    EMU Turbo Phat
    Korg Trinity
    MPC 4000
    ASR-10

I'm new to this Cubase thing.

Question #1:

How do I get the Roland A-37 to control Cubase? I want to use the start and stop features on the controller so I don't have to get carpal tunnel using that dang mouse all of the time :)

Question #2:

When I change patch/program numbers on the A-37, I can hear the sounds change on the other midi keyboards, but the patch/program/bank numbers don't change in Cubase. Is this possible?

Timmy Tim
  17. mosch1no

mosch1no New Member

Since I don't want to spend alot of money, would Cubasis (the younger brother) be suggested?
  18. yardman

yardman New Member

Iam trying to use steinberg vm Generator hormonizer in cubase

along with my midi keybaord to play the hormonies but it seems a little tricky do have an idea.:thumbsup:
  19. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

i've always wondered this, you know the vocal harmonizers you get in hardware versions,- do cubase or any of the rest have any sort of plugin for a software version? Also... I would usually use evolution sound studio gold because its easier to follow the track on the guitar as it displays the chord being played, i have cubase and cakewalk but didnt find this feature, is it there? Thanks for your time
  20. yardman

yardman New Member

well actually you have the akai decabuddy hormonizer which is very good and also cubase vm generator which is also good but i find the akai decabuddy much easier to use
    Well in cakewalk has a window where you can see the note played under the vew menu you can select it.
    Or use cake walk guitar studio.
    i hope this help.