Anyone using a POD with Cakewalk?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Rankinfile, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Rankinfile

Rankinfile Guardian Angel

Just wondering if anyone is using Cakewalk to change the settings on their POD during live performance? If you are what procedure are you using?
  2. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

sounds complicated.... why not just use the pods floorboard?
  3. Rankinfile

I dunno. I guess I like to figure out the most complicatied method instead of the one that makes the most sense. Besides, I'd have to shell out another couple of 'C' notes to get the floorboard and have yet one more thing to tote around with me...
  4. voice of god

yes true

so did you suss out how to chnge your pod settings via cakewalk?......
  5. Rankinfile

Not yet but I will...when I find the time to really spend some time on it. Do you use a POD also VOG?
  6. voice of god

yeah I use a pod with the big floorboard, its got a volume pedal and a wah, they are both fun to use, especially the wah
  7. Rankinfile

8. voice of god

you gettin some good sounds out of your pod? maybe we could start a pod thread with ppl's favourite settings, what sounds do u use?
  9. Jobu

Jobu New Member

I've used Cake9 to control my POD, just for experimentation purposes. Worked well and saved me from trying to sing, play guitar and get my big feet to hit the right button on the floorboard. We also recorded from the one guitarists Floorboard into cakewalk (using Wah & Volume pedals) then played back letting cakewalk control the floorboard, worked like a charm.
  10. Rankinfile

I've downloaded several preset sounds from the Line 6 website and then tweaked the shit out of them! Since I hooked my computer up via usb to midi I just go into the POD program, plug in my guitar (a 1963 Fender Strat remake), plug in my headphones and play around till I find something I really like. Then I just save the sound to my library and upload to my POD for live usage. Once I can get Cakewalk switching the POD channels I'll be able to program all my sound changes and never have to touch a dial! At least that's my dream...
  11. voice of god

that sounds awesome, maybe Jobu can tell you how to do it? I think Im gonna start a Pod Settings thread so we can share tones an stuff
  12. Rankinfile

Jobu--
    Could you elaborate a bit on how you accomplished this with Cakewalk 9? It would be much appreciated...
  13. Jobu

Jobu New Member

Ack! you will have to give me a few days to set everything up on the computer. Its been about a year since I've done it. Once I do that I will do a small write up to get people started. I dont have a floorboard anymore so can't help with recording the floordboard movemets, though I figured it out once so it cant be that hard!
  14. Rankinfile

Thanks, I'll be looking forward to the info.
  15. Jobu

Jobu New Member

1) You need a cable to connect to your Midi out from your computer to your POD. I bought a MIDI cable at my local Music Store for $20ish. It has 2 connectors on each end. 1 end has 2 15 pin connectors (1 is male and 1 is female), this is the end that attached to the joystick port (which doubles as my MIDI port) on my SB Live soundcard. The other end has 2 standard Midi plugs (both male), one is labeled in the other is labeled out. Connect the "In" connector to the "Midi Out" on your POD and the "Out" connector to the "MIDI In" on the POD.

2) select which channel your POD will receive and send info on. Press the "MIDI" button on your POD then use the patch change buttons (up and down arrows on POD) to select a MIDI channel. 1-9 = midi channel 1-9; 0 = channel 10; 1. (1 with a period after it) = 11 thru 6. (6 with a period after it) =16. "A." = Omni which we will ignore for now. select a MIDI channel then press "MIDI" button on POD to exit. I chose channel 16 because I knew most of my midi files did not have anything on this channel.

3) Open a MIDI file in cakewalk and add a track named 'POD'. Open the properties for the 'POD' track and set the following:

- Source = none
    - Port = whatever port transmits receives midi. on my setup it is the "SB LIVE - MIDI UART".
    - Channel = 16 (or if you set your POD to a different channel then use whatever your POD is set to).
    - Set Bank & Patch to none if they are not so defaulted.
    - Close track properties

4) Next make sure your track named "POD" is selected then go into the event list (View>Event List or use Event List button) and:
    - Add an event (Add Event button looks like a yellow star).
    - click the box under "MBT" and change the time to "2:01:000" (which means - 2nd measure, 1st beat, 000 ticks.
    - In the new event under the "kind" column (might say "note" as default), double click that box and it will bring up the "Kind of Event" window. Under MIDI highlight the "Patch Change" radio button and click OK.
    - Next in the event you just added in the last column is where you change the patch (it may just be a number or it may something like "Acoustic Grand Piano") Double click the box in this column and change it to whatever the second choice on the list is).

5) click the add event button again then move down to the lowest event on the list. Change the box under MBT to "4:01:000" Change the patch from the 2nd choice to the third (might say 'bright acoustic piano" or be a number)

6) close the event list and use the rewind button to go to the beginning of the Midi file. play the MIDI file and watch your POD. At the 2nd measure it will change from whatever patch it is currently on to patch 1A, then at the 4th measure it will change to patch 1B.

that concludes lesson 1, its a lot simplier than it looks. check the back appendixes of the manual that came with your POD. Appendix C lists the patch change numbers (Appendix D gets into controllers). If you guys want I cant start you on changing the other controls on your POD (Amp Model, Distortion on/off, delay settings etc...) next time.
  16. Rankinfile

Thanks Jobu, this is great info. I will play around with it tomorrow. I can definitely use any other info you can provide concerning the amp models etc...many thanks.
  17. Rankinfile

Jobu--
    I think my POD is disfunctional...I followed all the steps above but for some reason my POD will only change patches on the 2nd patch change that I programmed (and all subsequent changes), not the first. When I 'rewind' to the beginning of the midi file, my POD will stay on whatever setting it's on until it reaches the 2nd patch change...errr. Any suggestions?
  18. Jobu

Jobu New Member

Rankinfile,

hard to say why you are experiencing a problem without being able to see in person what you are doing. My guess would be user error. Restart the example and see if that fixes the problem.

* note: when you rewind the Midi file it will not change the settings on your POD. No changes will be sent until you press play and the first event occurs. from my example above your POD will not change patches until the second measure.
  19. Rankinfile

Thanks for all the great info Jobu. I'll continue experimenting until I figure it out. I'm sure it must be something I am doing wrong.
  20. Rankinfile

Update:

With continued experimentation it seems like I can't get the POD to respond to Cakewalk before measure 4. After that, it responds just fine. Maybe it takes this long for Cakewalk to set up the event? Maybe Cakewalk waits until all other events are accomplished before sending midi to the POD? Don't know, any other help would be appreciated.