Are Drummers really Musicians?

Discussion in 'Percussion' started by matthewsa1, Oct 1, 2002.

?

Are Drummers Really Musicians?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2003.
  1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    97.4%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. matthewsa1

matthewsa1 New Member

Well, are they?

Remember to Vote at the top of the page!
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2002
  2. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

of course they are musicians!

rhythm is everything. music would just be noise if there was no structure or timing.

drumming is one of the coolest parts of music.

as a matter of fact if you traced music back to its roots say caveman time(quite appropriate since we're talking drummers haha) I'll bet you would find that drums are the original musical instrument.

That's right the first musical note ever struck on this earth was that of someone beating a drum(be it sticks or rocks or someone else's head)

Aaah its starting to become clear, you are beginning to realize.

The truth shall be known.

Yes all musicians are descendants of drummers.

Which means the drums are a part of you. If you want to be a better musician you need to truly FEEL the drums.

Tommy Emmanuel breaks it down like this. He says when he plays he FEELS the drums in his body. The hi-hats in his head. The kick drum in his belly and the snare in his chest or heart. He truly FEELS the rhythm.

Try this, it will help your playing. Also works for dancing.
  3. Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf Junkpost Stalker

yes i agree with voice drummer are a big part of any band so their for they are musicians
  4. voyetra

voyetra New Member

:assskake: I do believe that drummers are musicians, afterall musicians express feelings through instruments, and who keeps the beat who sets the pace most times the drummers. Most drummers I have met were not trained formally, but you do have pianist that can't read. I think Paul Mcartney cannot read but he is one of the best musicians in our time and plays a number of instruments.
  5. rounty

rounty Guest

Drummers are musicians of course. The style of music might be different to the one you do with a piano.
    Maybe a drum solo isn't music like a piano or guitar solo, it's groove and beat. As rhythm is an important part of music drummers are definitely musicians.
  6. Nyxan

Nyxan It wont hurt for long Staff Member Moderator

Speaking as an ex drummer I would say that without drums a lot of music would loose its feel not to mention that most bands would loose their timing and all sense of rhythm-lol
  7. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

No they are not musicians. you don't need to understand the complexities of scales, notes, chords etc...
    You just need to hit different things in a different order and remember that the next time you play.
  8. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

That last post was to generate some discussion...

They are fine musicians!!
  9. NOFX ROCK!

NOFX ROCK! New Member

If you look at it this way. Music is a series of notes strung together. Guitars, keyboards, harmonicas, bagpipes etc.. have loads of different notes, well so does a drum kit. Each drum is tuned differently and so are the cymbals, (not to mention bells, triangles etc...) Therefore drumming creates music and one who plays that music is therefore a musician!!
  10. Zack

Zack New Member

definetly no doubt about it ;) now a Kazoo player, thats a different story..hehe

drums = rhythm
    rhythm= music
  11. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

i always thought that a drummer was someone who hung out with musicians :D :D :D

DAve
  12. Nyxan

Nyxan It wont hurt for long Staff Member Moderator

Ha ha ha another one -- How do you tell if the drum risers level---- the drool comes out both sides of the drummers mouth.
  13. evansst

evansst New Member

I always thought that music needed timing,rythm and a backbeat. Therefore, I would have to say, that we drummers are definitely musicians in our own right!! :hit:
  14. Big C Style

Big C Style New Member

I was on the drumline in high school, and we were the most envied and respected section in the band. It was almost like we were a separate entity because we were so much cooler than the rest of them.
  15. Legolas313

Legolas313 New Member

YES of course dummers are musicians, they play and instrmet(can't spell)
  16. evansst

evansst New Member

No, No... drummers can spell... we just lack co-ordination when we type....:thumbsup:
    We're linked to one another by such slender threads...

—Neil Peart
  17. Trancetech.com

Trancetech.com New Member

Everybody is a natural drummer. Our hearts beat to a certain Bpm right? That should mean we should all have rhythm, but we all don't. Weird.
  18. kcpiano

kcpiano New Member

:) I think Piano, Drums, Saxaphone and Bass are my favorite instruments. I play Piano and Sax(Windcontroller) and would like to learn electronic drums. Not sure if I will ever learn bass other than playing it on the synth/windcontroller as part of a song. I have played the Stick before, bass and lead on one guitar. Would be very hard to learn that instrument and time consuming.

Kevin
  19. kcpiano

kcpiano New Member

I think drums and bass are very critical to a song and most songs need those instruments.

Kevin
  20. kcpiano

kcpiano New Member

I would like to know how many drummers know how to play other instruments? Seems like some muscians sometimes play the drums, but real drummers only drum?

Kevin