Are Drummers really Musicians?

Discussion in 'Percussion' started by matthewsa1, Oct 1, 2002.

?

Are Drummers Really Musicians?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2003.
  1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    97.4%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. grmstrsexay

grmstrsexay New Member

they are definitely musicians, drums are music, drums are a crucial part of any song, so yes they are
  2. scarlethawk

scarlethawk New Member

yeah

drummers are totally musicians...i mean: they read music (most of them do at least!) and its part of every single song you hear (unless its like church choir.)
  3. Dobbs

Dobbs New Member

Drummers/percusionist are what the makes the music world go around
  4. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

It's amazing the ego's here.

Drummers can be a very intrical part of any song. BUT THE SONG IS GOOD WITH OR WITHOUT ANY INDIVIDUAL INSTRUMENT. Drummers are very talented and skilled musicians, but don't ever get it confused with the songwriting. Songwriting is a skill that is completely independant. You can have great songs that are butchered by one group, but is highly successful with another. Check out "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles as opposed to some country singer named Robin something or another. Myles version just rocks. The song is good, but is enhanced by the group of musicians playing it.

The backbone of any band is not any individual, but how they can blend with each other to bring the best out of any song. No one part is necessarily more important than the other. Each person has to do their part to make the song work.
  5. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

Well said Sax! *he must be a musician? :laugh2: *
    Seems like I'm havin' a case of deja vu here... :confused:
  6. OzWTF

OzWTF New Member

everyone seems to forget that percussionists play tuned instruments too from time to time. especially classically trained percussionists.
  7. Wiggawes8

Wiggawes8 New Member

"I never started playing drums to get chicks or money or anything else. Long before I had concepts of those things, I wanted to be a drummer. That's the basic concept of what I do. I'm a drummer. I play drums. We are artists as drummers, and people should realize that. Not everyone can sit down and use all four of your limbs simultaneously to create something out of wood and plastic. We're creating something beautiful, and it may not sound pretty, but if you listen with the right ear, it sounds very pretty. If you try and listen to a song without drums, you haven't got anything."
    - John Dolmayan,
    System of a Down
  8. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Agree with the dexterity bit and how a good drummer does a great job. As for songs without drums "not having anything". That's a ridiculous statement. I have heard many songs without percussion that are great. You just don't want to hear ten of them in a row (at least for the majority of the time). The same thing might be applicable to drums. You may not want to hear 10 drums solo's in a row. Drums however can be a very integral part of a song, and may enhance it greatly. I'm really surprised at his statement at the end.

:eek:
  9. gethegroove

gethegroove New Member

YES!

Drummers are absolutely musicians! If in a song 50% percent is the melody and the harmony and everything else...the rest must be absolutely percussion! It gives us the rythm...the energy! Drummers are absolutely musicians...