are midi files "illegal"

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by laserwolf, Jul 15, 2003.

1. laserwolf

laserwolf New Member

lets say i did a sick remix of a top 40 type song , using a midi file i got of it.
    if i released that , would i get my ass sued? and if i did , by who, the original composer? the person who made the midi? or is it all good , since ive warped the orginal so much ?
  2. smokeyuk

smokeyuk New Member

im not too sure about the legalty but im sure somone will be able to help you!!
  3. CaRoTiD

CaRoTiD New Member

If you were going to release something with any part of it someone elses property then you would leave youself open for legal action. It would need to be a completely original piece of work to not attract any attention.

You may be able to strike a deal with the artist or thier company tho
  4. laserwolf

laserwolf New Member

but in general , are they illegal? what about sites that sell midi files. they didnt originally compose those pieces. thats someone else's intellectual propety , and they are selling it. i dont think its wrong , im just curious.
  5. CaRoTiD

CaRoTiD New Member

i would imagine that they would have to have some kind of contract and pay royalties for each song downloaded. Not 100% on that tho. Anyone else in here got any ideas.
  6. doubley_m

doubley_m New Member

Hmmmm. If you made your own interpretation of a song that was not in midi, for example on CD then is it your property because its different from what it was based on?
  7. lukekelsall

lukekelsall New Member

i dunno, but the way things are going with copyright these days everything willl be free in a few decades. FREE WILL, FIGHT THE SYSTEM, INFORMATION IS POWER!
  8. bananaboy

bananaboy New Member

I think if you have a popular website for copyright ringtones, the RIAA will eventually find you but i think they are more concerned with MP3s at the moment throught the P2P networks. Guess you can server ringtones on that network too so it'll be scary if you put them up.
  9. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

copyright in whole are b-sh-t
  10. izam74

izam74 New Member

I don't think they are illegal. Unless someone uses it for a profit.
  11. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

This is the licence you get when you buy a professionally sequence midi file. This one is from hands-on-midi.

HANDS ON MIDI SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT.

This is a Legal Agreement between you, the end user, and Hands On MIDI Software Ltd, a UK private limited company ("Hands On"). BY DOWNLOADING MATERIAL FROM THIS WEB SITE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE - This Hands On License Agreement ("License") permits you to use one copy of the Hands On software product acquired with this License on any single computer, keyboard, Material player or any other type of equipment that can utilise the material that has been downloaded.

2. COPYRIGHT - This License is not an assignment of any rights of the copyright in the work. All copyrights and title associated with the Material and its associated documentation (I.e. -lyric files, either as printed matter or in ASCII format) remains the sole property of Hands On. International copyright law protects all Materials available from the web site. You may make one copy of the Material solely for backup or archival purposes.

3. USAGE -The Material can be used and adapted for your personal use. This includes the rights for you to use the Material as backing material for live performances. You can use the Material to create audio products (CD,MD,Tapes etc), for sale at venues and for demonstration material provided that no more than 1,000 units are manufactured in a single one year period and that all the products contain live singing which would render them useless as a "Karaoke" (Backing track) product. Note - If you intend selling tapes at venues an additional licence will be required from the original copyright holder or from their official representatives. You may record the Material without live vocal parts onto digital audio tape (D.A.T.) or Mini Disc provided that tape is used only for rehearsals and live performances.

4. RESTRICTIONS
    (i)You may not swap, give away, loan, rent, lease, transfer (including any type of electronic transmission), dispose of or allow the data to be distributed in any manner which could morally or financially damage Hands On.
    (ii)You may not make commercial audio backing tracks, including Karaoke type products made in whole or part from the Materials.
    (iii)You may not use a sound recording of the Material to be used in whole or part on any visual presentation medium which includes film and/or video tape.
    (iv)You may not print music from any part of the Material.
    (v)You may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Materials.

5. TRANSFER -You may not rent or lease the Materials but you may transfer your rights under this Agreement on a permanent basis provided you transfer all copies of the Materials and associated data along with all written or computer matter, and the recipient agrees to the terms of this Agreement. Any transfer must include all versions of the Materials, which includes any and all adaptations and modified versions made from the original Material.-

LIMITED WARRANTY

LIMITED WARRANTY - Hands On warrants that (a) the MIDI files will load into any device which correctly imports a Standard MIDI file, as defined in the MIDI specification from the MIDI Manufacturers Association; and (b) Any diskette, sent via terrestrial mail will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of thirty days from the date of receipt.

CUSTOMER REMEDIES - In the event of a download error being detected during the transfer of a valid order, Hands On will re-send to the customer a duplicate of the order free of any and all charges. In the event of physical product that is found to be faulty upon the return to the office of the faulty diskette and a copy of your receipt. This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the software or hardware has resulted from accident, abuse, or misapplication.

NO OTHER WARRANTIES - TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, HANDS ON DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE.

NO LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES - TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, HANDS ON SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY OTHER DAMAGES WHATSOEVER ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THIS PRODUCT. HANDS ON'S ENTIRE LIABILITY UNDER ANY PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID BY YOU FOR THE SOFTWARE.

Take note of the

This includes the rights for you to use the Material as backing material for live performances. You can use the Material to create audio products (CD,MD,Tapes etc), for sale at venues and for demonstration material provided that no more than 1,000 units are manufactured in a single one year period and that all the products contain live singing which would render them useless as a "Karaoke" (Backing track) product.

That's about it but think of it this way. If I write a song and Robbie Williams records it, has a number 1 hit and makes a load of money with it then I'd be really pissed!!

I make money out of other peoples song when gigging so it's only fair that I pay something for it. Of course if you're only playing midi's on your own PC or have a karaoke in your living room then you don't breach any copyright!!
  12. DaveJ

DaveJ New Member

No, to my knowledge they aren't illegal. But I was thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if we made a free P2P for midis?
  13. tonninlabs

tonninlabs New Member

does the midi arranger or the composer of the original music have rights?
  14. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

The composer or writer of the song always has the copyright unless they sell that copyright.
  15. I'llBeBack69

I'llBeBack69 New Member

I'm still trying to figure this all out, being new and all. But if you sequence a midi on an existing song that is copywrited, and you use it for your own use, who's to know? I think where you get into trouble is when you try to distribute without licensing. But I can't tell you if that true or not.
  16. Dorfmeister

Dorfmeister New Member

why should midi be illegal, and have copyrights and stuff like that if it isn´t the file format that is included in cd´s ?
  17. mpcole

mpcole New Member

midifiles that you buy aren't illegal. But the most you download in the web.
  18. DahLilBuddha

DahLilBuddha New Member

I dont think midi files that are purchased are illegal...
  19. dundatta

dundatta New Member

as long as you are not making a profit of it then it should be ok
  20. PHogan1337

PHogan1337 New Member

I believe the ones that are illegal are the ones inteded for karaoke use that certain websites charge a hefty fee for. They're copywritten by the author.