are midi files "illegal"

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by laserwolf, Jul 15, 2003.

1. leaker

leaker New Member

Back to the days when broadband did not exist, I use to collect midi files on a 14k modem. Its amazing how small the file size is.
    I remember tons of midi sites I can download from. but soon every site started dying out one by one. I imagine they were probably illegal but how can they be when musicians just want to share their talents and they are not asking for a fee.
  2. andyw99

andyw99 New Member

i think i think i think

i believe the same copyright law applies to midi as does applies to software. after changing, i believe its 40%, of the original, you can re-copyright the software/file as your own.
  3. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

hit the [search] button and type in Midihub !!!! It is a P2P sharer for MIDI files... you can apply for membership after you've been a good member on the boards for a while :)
  4. dayton

dayton New Member

As if midi files are illegal, i think it would be illegal to SELL one u have made imitating someone elses song though.
  5. simarilis

simarilis New Member

illegal? they are works of art if they are manually sequenced... if covers are legal midi's should be legal
  6. chrisb2k1

chrisb2k1 New Member

would i be safe hosting .mid files on my ISP's webspace without getting told off for it then? Was thinking of having a free mid download site but already been told off by Telewest Internet Security for something else i thought was legal, don't want it to happen again.
  7. jp1308

jp1308 New Member

does any one have yesterday by boyz 2 men
  8. sayesd33

sayesd33 New Member

if u make it 4 ur self thewn u wont get done but if u wana distribute it use a p2p program like kazaa www.kazaa-lite.co.uk
  9. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi,

It seems like there is a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to copyrights.

If someone writes a song, he has the copyright on his song. He is the onlyone who can sell it, or distribute it. However, he could give permission to someone else to ditribute it, and in return he will get a fee for every copy that is made (sometimes called "royalties").

If someone wants to make a midifile of that song, the same rule applies: you need permission to make use of his composition and you have to pay royalties for every copy made. It doesn't matter wether you sell them or give them away for free. This is obvious, you use the intellectual property of someone else.
    Because it would be impossible to ask permission for every single song that has to be converted to a midifile, professional midi companies have a license with an official copyright organisation, that is protecting the rights of the original copyright holder. They collect the royalties as well. This means that professional midi companies also have to pay this copyright fee for every copy/download they make.

But, because a midifile has to be played/programmed by a musician, the programmer of the midifile is actually making an interpretation of the original song. You could compare it with making a cover of the song. This is why midicompanies have rights also. These are called "Neighbouring rights". In fact, every midifile is protected by law in two different ways:
    1) Copyrights by the original author of the song
    2) Neighbouring rights by the programmer of the midifile

Midi companies are paying copyrights to the original author. But they own the neighbouring rights on the midifile.

The only way to distribute midifiles legaly, is to ask permission to the author, and to pay the royalties for every download of your file.
    Or... you could always write a song, turn it into a midifile and distribute it. You would be the holder of the copyrights and the neighbouring rights at the same time !!

In any case, if you make use of someone elses work, either it is a composition, or pieces of midi programming, you need to have permission to use it, and pay for their work. It sounds obvious, doesn't it ?

Kind regards,
    Alain Besseleer
    www.mididesign.be
  10. Imation5

Imation5 New Member

I don't think so, but don't ask me
  11. MuthaHubbad2

MuthaHubbad2 New Member

surely they're not illegal they're just a set of instructions which sound vaguely like the original work. they're not copyright infringing...
  12. kreate195

kreate195 New Member

i hope not
  13. onewheel

onewheel New Member

the only way you could get sued is if the person who made the midis got a copyright on them and found out you used them that way
  14. celtics3410

celtics3410 New Member

i wouldnt recommend it
  15. lizziesoreo

lizziesoreo New Member

if sharing midi's or w/e were illegal , wouldnt this site get closed down?:confused2
  16. eberth

eberth New Member

i dont think it is illegal, it just helps musicians to play music
  17. kyn

kyn New Member

a lot of the songs "crap" out though... like notes are different and what not... maybe that's how they get away with it? i dunno.
  18. b mcvernon

b mcvernon New Member

The original composer still owns the music.It does not matter if you adapt it with midi or real players they still own the copyright.
    You can release it but the publishing royalty will go back to the music composer/ songwriter.
    Why would you do this anyway.Just write your own music and don,t be so lazy.
  19. tazzz

tazzz New Member

How could it be illegal.. its just intrumental, no vocals.. if you know what I mean.. I know it's someone elses music.. but for all you know, you could have incidentally created the MIDI not knowing it was already a copyrighted song. :p
  20. smithkf51

smithkf51 New Member

>I remember tons of midi sites I can download from. but soon every site started dying out one by one. I imagine they were probably illegal but how can they be when musicians just want to share their talents and they are not asking for a fee.<

The reason that most of those good old midi sites that we loved got shut down was because the performance rights groups that represent the songwriters, publishers, etc demanded that the appropriate fees be paid. The webmasters of most of those sites didn't derive the income necessary to pay the fees, so one by one they were shut down. It wasn't a question of whether the muscian's were willing to share their talent for free, the songwriters are not so generous.

You may not be aware of this fact, but the reason that many restaurants have their staff sing songs other than "Happy Birthday to You" when parton's request it is that they don't want to pay the fees for rights to sing "Happy Birthday to You". Now there is a song I wished I owned the copywrite on.