are midi instruments electrical or mechanical?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by ingobert, Aug 20, 2002.

1. ingobert

ingobert New Member

are midi instruments electrical or mechanical?
  2. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

It's quite simply a computer programme which instructs the sound card on your pc or keyboard to make the relevant noise or play a particular note or drumbeat in pretty much the same way as if you played a note on your music keyboard or typed a letter on the keyboard of your pc this instructs the machine to do the requested action. Obviously there may be hundreds of such instructions going on every second.

:assskake:
  3. Iman 68

Iman 68 New Member

how I can make my own midi-file? I want to learn to sequence self, but I dont know the programm I must use. I hope, I dont must do this with an right keyboard, becouse my dont like to work with my pc.

Iman
  4. rdprod

rdprod New Member

Midi stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. Because you must use elecricity to have anything digital, I would say electrical. However, you must use mechanics , meaning, someone actually has to play the notes, to create a midi file.
  5. Gandalf

Gandalf MIDI Sorcerer

They are neither Electrical nor Mechanical.

They are Electronic.

Regards
    Mr Pedantic
  6. Kabeem

Kabeem New Member

A good program to start doing your own sequencing is Finale Notepad.
  7. cgkb

cgkb New Member

8. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

Another way of looking at it. A note is a note when you hold down a note on a keyboard, and stops when you lift your finger off. All a midi note is an on/off switch. The longer you hold the note down for, the longer it goes for. If you have 16 rows(channels) and a different sound on each row, all you have is a lot of on off switches on each row, turning on and off different sounds. It seems complicated, but once you start programming midfiles, it gets addictive. I use cubase, but there are a lot of programs that work just as well
  9. TonePoet

TonePoet New Member

It's kind of like a player piano, but the sheet of paper that rolls thru the player is bits & bytes that tell your MIDI componets what to do, & how long to do it.
  10. caruthers

caruthers New Member

All of the above but I think for what you are thinking they are electrical.
  11. LtDan

LtDan New Member

I plug mine in.
    It works =)
  12. ade2055

ade2055 New Member

i think they are two : electrical and mechanical :)
  13. jon-paul

jon-paul New Member

Are midi instrument electrical or etc

Midi instrument are Not Just a computer program in fact you do not need a computer to run midi instrument. you only need a computer to act as a sequencing suit. However midi does use a binary system to communicate with other midi instrument for example if you press the note C on your keyboard interface this will send a stream of 1 and 0 to the receiving instrument (this could be a sound module or computer or any midi compatable machine) The type of messages from a musical sence are such things as velocity, note on, note off, modulation and Pitch bend to name but a few. Please do not confuse midi with a computer program just remember that midi is not audio but rather a language for comunication.