Are midis Legal

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by philwooly, Sep 29, 2003.

1. philwooly

philwooly New Member

Ive been thinking of this for a while. Midis are just sequenced numbers so surely its not ripping off real music. The midi sound is not official and the words of a song are just in your head as you listen to them. Am I right in saying they are legal?
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

You have a good point there. Read this thread with more discussion on whether or not MIDI is legal. Laws are a pain in the neck to study, but it is important to know the details to avoid getting caught doing something you did not know was illegal.
  3. smithkf51

smithkf51 New Member

>Midis are just sequenced numbers so surely its not ripping off real music.<

Sheet music is just markings on a piece of paper until you play it.
  4. Neotic

Neotic New Member

yaah i also think midi arent illegal... i have one doubt though... what bout the ones which are xact copies? are they illegal?
  5. stevolives

stevolives New Member

I thought it was just like Monday Night Football, you can record and watch it as long as you are not charging people for it... No?
  6. Neto

Neto New Member

I think they're legal.... There are so many sites with midis....
  7. LP_rox_5379

LP_rox_5379 New Member

yeah, i believe they're legal because its not like they are really stealing music of other people - they don't have the lyrics on there, not an exact copy of the real song.

However, i think charging for midis should be illegal, unless the music is totally original, agree?
  8. smithkf51

smithkf51 New Member

The only thing that is illegal about distributing a song in any form is distributing it without paying the people who produced the work. With a midi, even if you record the music yourself and omit the lyrics, someone still wrote the tune. I'm quite certain that no one could successfully argue in court that omitting the lyrics to a song somehow negates the tunesmith's right to be compensated for his work. I'm sure the elevator music people would love to have the copyright laws interpreted that way though.
  9. zrepiV

zrepiV New Member

well... the midis are just rewritten and stuff like that. so, shouldn't really be illegal, since someone is taking their time to "remix" the song so that it can be made into midi format. so... it's not like mp3s or whatever, even though i think those aren't even illegal.
  10. ptomaine1

ptomaine1 New Member

I don't think that they are illegal. Actually about a year ago Tech TV did a highlight on an online Karaoke company. There were able to offer the songs because they had resequenced the music and the vocals that were included were someone else singing it
  11. blue_25

blue_25 New Member

i think some are copyright. when i tried to edit some of them, it doesnt work and it states that the file is copyrighted. also, when u try to save them into the handphone, it will not play.
  12. WhiteKittie

WhiteKittie New Member

I think midi is legal - Mainly because the websites still exist. Usually, when someone opens a public website including illegal things - such MP3's and original sheet music, it get's shut down after some time.

But I know many midi sites that have been there for 3 years already, so in my opinion it's not illegal.

(Grr - had to edit cause after 5 years of English my placement of 's still sucks :rolleyes: )
  13. gino

gino New Member

I think if you have made the midi by your self. nobody can say it is illegal.
  14. DjEau

DjEau New Member

What about a remix of a tune that was sequenced with midi?
    what if it wasnt approved by the original artist?
  15. hatmansisho

hatmansisho New Member

i think they are all legal, i mean its not the real song,. you can see it as some sort of tune., similar to the original but not quite the same.
  16. nickske

nickske New Member

we can discuss about this, but i don't think it's illegal if you just place the right name under it
  17. asiandelite

asiandelite New Member

i think the "illegality" of the whole downloading music thing had to do with the downloading party making money off it...
  18. ehnoismemu

ehnoismemu New Member

imho midis can be illegal, 'cause songs are made of musical notes and tunes. so, if the midi produces the musical notes contained in the original song, then it's a rip. but that's just my 2 cents.
  19. preco

preco New Member

i'am sure i've seen alot of site close down because they were not legal.
  20. idiotsam

idiotsam New Member

i think they are legal