Aspiring solo act requests information please...

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by stevolives, Sep 29, 2003.

1. stevolives

stevolives New Member

Hi there,

This is one of my first posts to this very informative board. I am very glad I found it. I am in the process of becoming a solo performer. I've played piano for 20 years. My rig is complete and I have 50 songs down (i know i know, but its a start), half solo, and half with backing tracks ready to go, I have 4 Elton John tunes in my set so far, I mention this because I have been focusing on learning them lately as I perceive people liking them. How does one get started? I am just barely getting able to start approaching lounges, fraternal organizations and the like that I think may enjoy this kind of performance. What does one charge for such a service. I assume I will have to perform a couple free gigs to get it started. Does that sound right? I imagine walking into a Veterans of Foreign Wars type club presenting a business card, telling them what I am about and what I'd like to do to entertain and then offering them a free 1 or 2 hour gig. What do you think? The other component to my question is I am only missing 1 thing, the sequencer(prtable I mean) I have done all my practicing with the backing tracks at home on an old 486 desktop machine. It is simply too big to take out without looking dumb and it weighs too much. I have found several quirky little sequencers, Brother pdc100, some by yamaha, kawia, roland etc.... Then theres the option of picking up a laptop. Not sure which way to go. I certainly couldn't sit there very long without starting the next song waiting on a load. My old 486 desktop loads them instantly so it would work fine if it weren't for the size.

I am concerned about things
    like if reads standard midi files, will i have to alter them
    somehow? will it transmit all the sysex data, program changes,
    expression etc. to my korg x5dr and play the files "just like"
    they are played on my pc, how long to load a song, if it is
    very long, it won't be good to gig with unless i can 'load' 6
    or 8 at a time, then take a small break and load some more.

Anyway, I have asked alot but appreciate any response. Thanks, Steve
  2. smithkf51

smithkf51 New Member

One way to go is to make a demo CD of yourself and take it to a talent angent and let them do the pitching and the pricing for you. You can go the route of running all over town pitching yourself to clubs but its not a lot of fun.

I use a Toshiba laptop with SONAR and a Yamaha 2000 for my live performances. I have not had a problem with load times. I have a SONAR Playlist that I load and I have the software set to automatically load the next song on the list and wait for a keypress to start the next song. I have a very small remote control (http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/remote/) that I have attached with Velcro to may guitar strap, and I use that to start the song.
  3. stevolives

stevolives New Member

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated. I will advise what I finally do. Thanks,