Band Arrangements

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by wastedspace, Jun 5, 2004.

1. wastedspace

wastedspace New Member

OK...let the insults begin...I like writing concert and marching band arrangements of tunes...is there a set forum for this kind of stuff, or should I just go to one of the more general threads?
  2. vbrio

vbrio Lavander Lassie Staff Member Moderator

well if you have any original compositions of midi's meaning, something you created yourself and not a new arrangement for an existing music, then you can post them in the Original Music forum
  3. wastedspace

wastedspace New Member

Yeah...I found the original MIDI forum. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked and categories. Thanks for not making fun of my "band geek-ness"
  4. vbrio

vbrio Lavander Lassie Staff Member Moderator

each of us has our own kind of "geek-ness" as you will find out from the different forums....:laugh2: :D

welcome to the club :p
  5. LibertyBando

LibertyBando New Member

Insults? Nope, never. :)
    I love instrumental arrangements more than anything else. Have you heard some of the stuff the London Symphony Orchestra's done? It's great.
  6. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

That's very cool, wasted! I might have done more of it in the past if I hadn't always been busy with something else. :rolleyes: Arrangements are fun way to learn songs and work on composing/orchestrating skills. :thumbsup: Have you got any sequences?

(Psst. You could visit MidiZone - there's a self-sequenced forum over there. The one here went the way of the Dodo due to copyright issues.)
  7. wastedspace

wastedspace New Member

Yeah...I'm actually working on my Masters' in Composition right now. I'm the unofficial "staff arranger" at my school. Guess I'm the starving artist looking for an outlet! :)

And Band-Geekness is the coolest!
  8. Atlas

Atlas New Member

i understand about posting in the original thread but the songs that i have are not written by me they're just songs like Queen - Another One bites the Dust" and Venga Boys - "We Like to Party". i've just arranged them for a marching band with real band instruments. where should i go about posting those?
  9. Rich_b

Rich_b Bass Cadet

Wasted, why not check out some of the miltary cadet sites as they usually have a marching band (a friend in RAF cadets was in one) and doing their own arrangements of songs and for orchestra's check out city orchestra's homepages? Or just Google it! I found this page for original orchestral midis without trying too hard :)

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/3976/jimbates.htm
  10. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

We used to have a Self-Sequenced forum, but it was removed due to copyright problems. One place you could go is MidiZone. There is a Self-Sequenced Covers thread over there. :)
  11. wastedspace

wastedspace New Member

Blasted Copyright laws....They were the among the first laws passed in this country. Too bad they're so blatently abused by corporations and their lawyers. The only thing they serve to protect lately is innovation, if you ask me.

Would you believe that there are music publishing companies who want to try and limit the number of times you can play a tune? It's eventually going to get to the point of paying per play at the Friday night football game. Like anyone is making money off the deal. <UGH> Frustration. I write music, and hate copyright law. The way I figure...if people like my music, they'll buy it. I'm not out to be a millionaire - except maybe on this board! heh heh
  12. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

hehehe.... I encourage my eighth graders to proclaim themselves music-geeks and be done with it.....

What was that "educational purposes" clause in the copyright law?