baroque chord progressions

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by skippy4ya, Nov 25, 2003.

1. skippy4ya

skippy4ya New Member

Anyone know what baroque chord progressions are? I know what chord progressions are, and what baroque style music is, but I don't know what would make a chord progression baroque style. HELP :)

THANKS!
  2. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Hrm.I hadn't heard anything that would ever indicate that there is really any characteristic chord progressions that exemplify the Baroque era (quite a broad range of music if taken as a whole). But I'd guess that if referred to in that way that it indicates perhaps the Baroque concerto, especially as perfected (or arguably, overindulged in) by Vivaldi.

These do have some characteristic patterns which you can discern by listening to, for example, Il Cimento dell'Armonia e dell'Invenzione, Op.8, Nos. 1-4, best known as The Four Seasons. No specific progressions come to mind except maybe the tendency to fall from I-IV-V dominant harmony into the relative minor vi-III, which seems to happen a lot in the exposition. That's off the top of my head; there may be (and probably is) more in depth analysis at the touch of a google search. :)

edit: Dang! munged up my URL's last night. In case anyone actually clicks on that link, it should at least go somewhere! :rolleyes2
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2003
  3. skippy4ya

skippy4ya New Member

Brilliant! That was so much more than I got after hours of googling. Yeah, my favorite producer (Max Martin) is said to use baroque chord progressions constantly, and I wanted to know what in the world that would mean. You've been a great help!! Thanks so much!!!!

:thumbsup:
  4. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

:eek:

Goodness!!! I'm glad to have been of assistance!

:)
  5. seeneys

seeneys New Member

I think you're OK providing that you stick to I IV and V with the occasional VI and II. Depending on what you're doing though you might need to keep the bass line moving quite a lot.
  6. skippy4ya

skippy4ya New Member

sounds good! thanks! :)
  7. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Baroque chord progressions are possibly the chords at end of 8 bar phrases or end of sections where the usual chord progression was often II Ic V (or V7) I. These are standard cadential progressions used at ends of pieces of music, also half way through like an imperfect cadence ie something to V (often II to V or I to V or IV to V). These are usually explaine in most Theory of Music Books such as the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music. Hope that helps somewhat.