Beginner - Lessons or Teach Self?

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by ilenz, Sep 10, 2003.

1. mickey_t

mickey_t New Member

Right you have me convinced. I'm going to get off my ass and find a good teacher!
  2. toshi

toshi New Member

Taking some lessons can only have advantages. I can't play the guitar, but now I'm thinking of it, I could never play as well on the keyboard if I would learn it on my own. Hopefully, over one month, I have enough money to buy my own guitar! If you cannot aford lessons, you can also ask some friends who can play the guitar to teach you some basics, and may be some more about the instrument itself, which is also very important. Anyway, good luck to all the beginning musicians! :D
  3. evanescent

evanescent New Member

Hmmm I'd say teach yourself, that's what I did. I went online found chords and observed other guitarists live at concerts and things. You learn and pick up some of their techniques. I found with a teacher for piano I wasn't bein myself, I was doin what she said and playin the songs she picked out and wastin my money. When you teach yourself you kinda build your own style. Just watch and listen to lots of guitarists/guitar music. I'm into bluegrass, folk, jazz, rock, celtic, classical, or whatever, pretty much just anything. I think the more types of music you listen the better.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  4. nobodynew

nobodynew New Member

Personally, I taught myself how to play. Seeing as I already take piano lessons, I couldn't ask to take guitar as well. Luckily, my brother takes guitar from the same teacher, so I watch/listen in on his lessons while I'm practicing piano. Teachers are great for technical lessons, so I'm unlearning and learning on my own. I'd say get lessons if you can, but don't be afraid to learn some things on your own.
  5. kelion

kelion New Member

i tried self teachin not working so im setting up for some lessons
  6. PERFECTiON

PERFECTiON New Member

I'm teaching myself, but I'm not getting that far...Try getting lessons!
  7. locki_star

locki_star New Member

Beginner

At the minute i've literally grabbed a mid range classic acoustic and am working through self teaching books to try and pick up the basics. Running on the subject of "self teach or teacher?". It's hard to say. If i had a choice i would definately recommend self teaching, you do develop your own style. When you think that teachers can only teach you their style. I'm not sure. Maybe it's worth learning yourself then have one or two professional sessions to see how you can "work the weakness / bad habit".
  8. Anno_Anubus

Anno_Anubus New Member

=/

I've taught myself some of the instruments I play, within the first month or so for guitar and bass I was able to play without looking at the frets and hit notes I heard within reason.
    Then again my budget doesn't much allow any tutor, but I figure I've become good enough with myself that I really don't need any extra help :)

Also I considered first 6months or so beginner, but either way anyone else self teach themselves and didn't progress slowly?
  9. tammy

tammy New Member

some people can cope with teaching themselves. others cant.
    i couldnt. i had no idea what it meant to tune a guitar when i first looked at it. and i was frustrated as hell. go for lessons. get the clarity. then go off on your own.
    t