Beginner: Slow at going from Chord to Chord

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by Pinoy4k, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Pinoy4k

Pinoy4k New Member

Hey....I started playing the guitar, but I got too frustrated and quit because it took way too long to go from chord to chord and I'd spend more time doing that than actually playing. I've been listening a lot and really want ot pick it back up though. ANy suggestions? Were yout he same way?
  2. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

Yep, I had two guitar teachers quit on me early on, Said my fingers were too short to do the chords properly. I have been playing in bands and solo work now for 20 years and have 8 guitars that I play every day.
    The teacher that taught me the most was from a little country school where she taught guitar during lunchtime.
    I remember she use to say take it slow and try and get your fingers to be like a spider when changing chords. Hard to explain without seeing it in action. Start slow moving each finger to the new position from the bottom string to the top string, then slowly speed up, try changing from a G chord to a C chord and back a few times. As you get a bit quicker try starting to move the second finger before the first one is in it's new place. like a spiders legs when it walks.
    Do this a few times then try changing from a C chord to a D chord. As you progress each day try adding another chord i.e. G to A to D and back. Don't worry what it sounds like just get used to changing from one chord to the next. Pretty soon it'll become second nature.
    Keep at it and good luck
  3. Anno_Anubus

Anno_Anubus New Member

It sounds less like your fingers were too short and more like you had bad teachers ;p

Bass guitar for me was the first instrument that I couldn't put down Pinoy, so maybe try that out until you can get into a full swing before moving back to guitar.
  4. Pinoy4k

Pinoy4k New Member

I definetly don't have short fingers, I just have problems multitasking between the two hands. I can't focus on both of them, almost like one at a time only. That's always been a problem.
  5. twist

twist New Member

I'd suggest to get into the power chords.. the moveable chords so that you can keep the same shape for your chords but only have to move them up and down the fretboard. With to basic shapes you should be able to play most standard rock songs. That way you get playing quicker. Practice solo's as well... That is to say get the powerchord thing happening.. and also try and copy a few solos.. slower ones.. I think that builds a bit of finger dexterity, then you should (over a period of time) go on to tackle the g chord or c chord.... in it's open form.:boink:
  6. twist

twist New Member

I'd suggest to get into the power chords.. the moveable chords so that you can keep the same shape for your chords but only have to move them up and down the fretboard. With to basic shapes you should be able to play most standard rock songs. That way you get playing quicker. Practice solo's as well... That is to say get the powerchord thing happening.. and also try and copy a few solos.. slower ones.. I think that builds a bit of finger dexterity, then you should (over a period of time) go on to tackle the g chord or c chord.... in it's open form.:boink:
  7. twist

twist New Member

8. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

Just be a bit carefull with the power chords, yes they may help you play a song a bit quicker, but the world is full of out-of-work guitarist that know a few power chords and the eruption solo. I suppose it depends on what you want to do with your playing, where you want it to take you.
  9. fidelio

fidelio New Member

Practising chords is tough, but nothing compared to learning melody notation, especially identifying every note position on the whole guitar neck.
  10. Pinoy4k

Pinoy4k New Member

Well, it'd be fun to play rock, and if I actually got good enough I'm sure I would. But since moving from New York, and having my guitar there, I'll probably get a beginner guitar in the meantime until I go back and visit. Mainly for the guitar, I plan on playing more of a slower kinda song, something you could go out with your girlfriend and play for her kinda thing. Well, comparable to the kiiind well say John mayer off the top of my head, ubt get my drift? I just wish there were almost quick cheats at playin chords, but moving back and forth gets frustrating for me.
  11. Pinoy4k

Pinoy4k New Member

Does anyone know any really easy songs to start out with that don't involve a lot of chord switching or anything. But not like marry had a little lamb kind of thing.
  12. LPSoldier

LPSoldier New Member

Learn piano first, then try to tackle guitar, try to learn from the inside by linkin park its an easy song.
  13. Jo-

Jo- Soopa Doopa

I think a good starter song is "Sweet Home Alabama". You go from D, to C to G (or variations of the C and G chords). You can just learn to strum those chords, and download the midi file and play along with it.

But it just takes practice, practice, practice.

When I first started learning guitar, my first chords were E, A and D and I remember practicing one Saturday afternoon going from and E to an A, back to E ... etc, etc etc. Back and forth until I could get it smooth and it a rhythm.

E ... jung jugga jung, jugga jung jung jung
    A ... jung jugga jung, jugga jung jung jung

Even today 20+ years later, when learning a new funky shaped jazz chord I practice moving back and forth to it until the fingers develop their muscle memory.

It'll come, just give it time and practice. Make it fun tho', do it with a midi drum track, start slow and try and keep in time.
  14. Pinoy4k

Pinoy4k New Member

Thing is I play the piano. My fingers on the piano are pretty fast depending on my experience with the song/notes, but when I'm just learning for the first time it's hard for me to coordinate both hands together. Which is somewhat my problem on the guiatr.