Best keyboard for playing notes into a sequencer?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by clkndgr, Jun 28, 2004.

1. clkndgr

clkndgr New Member

Hi all,

I want to buy a keyboard so I can play notes into Fruityloops. I'm really new at this kind of thing so I have no clue what to look for. I know that I would like at least three octaves if possible. What are some good keyboards? What should I look for in one?
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

You can use any keyboard, as long as it has a midi out (which most do) or, possibly USB - not sure about the latter, since I don't use FL.

At one end of the range, you have simple controllers (no built in sounds) such as the Evolution (cheap) or the Fater (expensive). Similarly there's a huge range of keyboard synths (with their own sounds) wich you could use - pick your own price range :) .

One piece of advice I would give you is to avoid those instruments which have small keys - you'll find they are difficult to play and you'll almost certainly end up selling it and buying something with normal piano or organ size keys.

Basically, it's a case of deciding how much you want to spend and whether you need internal sounds or not. Then try everything you can get your hands on and see which you like playing best. Playability is the most important thing, I use an old Prophet 2000 for that reason alone.
  3. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I agree with Graeme, at home I just use the mouse, though there is a computer keyboard with music keys on it I saw recently. In the studio I use a dummy keyboard with no sounds (Roland A80) but has all the controllers like changing patches on my rackmount and aftertouch and polyphony for the louds and softs. Works a treat.
  4. shorts

shorts Member

try out an Edirol PCR 30 or 80.... good keyboard with sliders and rotary pots you can map to your soft synth....
  5. cmaff05

cmaff05 New Member

I reccommend running over to your nearest music shop and getting a feel for certain keyboards/MIDI controllers. You can pretty much use any MIDI keyboard, but feel is what matters, and it's important that you are comfortable with the instrument.
  6. MarkB

MarkB New Member

Any MIDI keyboard will do, but i would look for one with a pitch wheel!
  7. martyb1

martyb1 New Member

I agree with all the previous posters.It comes down to what you can afford and what you like to play.I myself like weighted keys if I have to do any actual piano sequencing.As for most other sequencing,weighted keys are not necessary.It's all up to you :cool2: