best pc

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by spilld3mv0ka, Oct 6, 2004.

1. spilld3mv0ka

spilld3mv0ka New Member

anyone know whats the best P.C for a home recording studio or best soundcard.
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

While 'best' is an arguable concept anyway, you have to set a budget first. 'Best' is invariably also expensive - and that can be to a point you can't afford.

One tip I can give you though - try and reserve a computer which is soley used for your music stuff - do not load it up with freebie programs, games, software which has nothing to do with music, etc., etc. and do not try and access the 'net with it (in fact, save a couple of shekels and leave the modem out).

I used to recommend leaving out the browser as well, but so many help files are in HTML format these days, that's a little impractical. However, if you don't need the help files, do leave it out.

There's an awful lot of stuff in modern OS's which you simply don't need and merely serve to bog down a 'music' computer and make it less efficient. If you don't put all the other nonsense on it, you can prune the OS and make it a whole lot better all round.

Oh yes - dual monitor systems are a real boon, especially if you are using lots of plug-ins or software synths.
  3. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

A fairly up to date spec computer based on AMD (which is cheaper) like the Athlon or Sempron) with win98 SE (max memory is 512) or XP (you can use more memory like 1gb or more) and something like a Soundblaster Live card or Audigy (which was about £200) so you can input and with the Audigy breakout box export midi to your rackmount modules or keyboards. A good set of speakers for your computer or even hooked up to a hifif (though these colour the sound somewhat) and you rocking!
  4. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I have been utilising 768MB in my 98SE box for quite a while. From a newsgroup post...