Best Sequencer software?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by billallyn, Mar 24, 2003.

1. billallyn

billallyn New Member

I've been using cakewalk 9 for years, but it still seems a bit convoluted, and I'm just wondering what all of you are using? Maybe I should break my mmt-8 out and go back to hardware? --ba
  2. sheffers

sheffers New Member

Hardware has some advantages, I like using two MC50s on stage, but i'm thinking about switching to a laptop.

Cakewalk/Sonar is absolutely one of the best, especially as it is so widely used.

Although, I must admit, I'm seriously thinking of going with VanBasco's for playback on stage. I love the tranpose feature for being able to quickly adjust the key for someone sitting in..
  3. elbaby765

elbaby765 New Member

Cakewalk Sonar 2.0 XL is The Best There is Around Now And It Offers Much More Power Than Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. The Only Thing You Might Not Like About Sonar Is That The Software Looks A Bit Different Now.
  4. Jeff09

Jeff09 New Member

I use powertrax ver 3.5 on a laptop on stage and it has been working well for 7 years now. It has never failed using 3.11 on a 486 sl25.
  5. Maxximillion

Maxximillion New Member

Hi,

There's only one really good

"Logic Audio"

:)
  6. sticky99

sticky99 New Member

Logic Audio is the best - for me! You may prefer cubase or Digital Performer
  7. updater

updater New Member

i work with logic audio, and since this is only available for mac now, with cubase sx. but i'm not used to cubase so everything goes something like searching an searching and searching each function.

but i guess those programms are quite equal if you are familiar with them.
  8. Midi Doc

Midi Doc New Member

Cubase sx is my choice... to be honest i still like my old Magix v2000 deluxe ... for budget software its the mutts nuts :)
  9. sonnynav

sonnynav New Member

Cakewalk introduced a better software than SONAR. It's called PROJECT 5. "Project5 provides a complete studio environment for electronic musicians. It gives you everything you need to experiment, create, and perform music using integrated sequencers, software synths, samplers, audio and MIDI effects, and audio looping tools — all in one workstation. In addition Project5 provides advanced capabilities for synth layering, real-time pattern genesis and triggering, and a seamless live-performance audio engine."
  10. axemanv90

axemanv90 New Member

PowerTracks Pro

If you want to use ASIO for multichannel audio, then get Cubase.

If this is not a problem, and you want a sequencer primarily for midi files, check out Powertracks Pro Audio from PG music for $50. It is extremely easy to use and very powerful. The audio capabilities are somewhat limited, but works well enough for laying single tracks. They raised the price...bummer. Used to only cost $30.

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm
  11. midifromza

midifromza New Member

Quite simply, the best sequencer software is whichever package works well for you personally and that you are most familiar with.

My guess would be that if you've been working with Cakewalk for 9 years, you should stick with it.
    Each different software package has a different user interface which requires a bit of learning until you get familiar with it - if you just want to get on with sequencing, its probably better to stick with what you know and upgrade to a more recent version of the same software if you feel the need to.
  12. Tut

Tut New Member

I totally agree with midifromza. He answer to the question best.

my 2 cents! Happy grooving, guys.
  13. Kresso

Kresso New Member

i don't know about pro's, but for amateures the best
    is Magix v2000 deluxe
  14. skooter

skooter New Member

I use cake walk with the n a mc-80ex
  15. nienie

nienie New Member

I prefer Sibelius, I use this programs for several months now and I love it! I also use MidiNotate for viewing MIDI's and for several functions Sibelius doesn't contain (like merging tracks). I've used Finale too, but that's very difficult to understand and I wasn't really happy with the results and the functions. I've used Encore, but Windows 2000 and higher don't support Encore, so I can't use that any more. Encore isn't very sophisticated actually.

Maybe I should try Logic Audio too, when I read all these replies..
  16. Chas

Chas New Member

Cakewalk and Sibelius are basically the sequencers i use and trust. Though my choice would be cakewalk...since i can use it a little more better than Sibelius.
  17. pullmyfinga

pullmyfinga New Member

I go logic platium all the way ..
  18. darwin

darwin New Member

this may make some of the pros sick:i have an old cakewalk 2.0 that i use. i think it's almost 10 years old. very easy to use to sequence cover songs for live use. it also has song list feature for live use
  19. Nigel Mulvey

Nigel Mulvey New Member

I've used many sequencers over the years from Pro 24, Cubase and Logic on the Atari to Cakewalk, Powertracks and now Cubasis on the PC. My fave now is Cubasis but as mentioned previously, the best is whatever you feel comfortable with - I particularly like the cut and paste methodology on cubasis.
  20. DMXMD

DMXMD New Member

what about for a total amateur like me?