Best Sound Card

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by MuddFlat, Jul 31, 2002.

1. c.j.grant

c.j.grant New Member

Souncards And Midi Keyboards

To be honest if your wanting a generally good sound you could go for any Sound Blaster, most released after the Awe64 are similar and have the Yamaha Emu sound chip in the.

You could also get a cheap midi keyboard - an Evolution would do the job - they are under £100. You would then need to purchase a midi interface. Use the sound cards wavetable for the midi sounds

Cost

S/card = £30
    Keys = £99
    Midi/Int = £20
    ------------------
    Total = £149

This would give you a reasonable setup for very cheap

On the other hand you could go for a sound blaster audigy with addon box, expensive midi controller - e.g. Roland A-33, A-90. - and a good sound module - I personally like the Roland JV 8080
  2. LtDan

LtDan New Member

Audigy

=)
  3. chriscc

chriscc New Member

i'm still searching for a font that comes close to the sounds off my keyboard. the 40mg fonts i've tried were not close and i've not tried any larger.sometimes xp crashes when i load a 40
  4. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

SB are great for multimedia - not DA recording
  5. jon-paul

jon-paul New Member

Sound card choice

Hi well i recomend a Creative Audigy Platinum Ex this card is excelent and has a desk top interface to make adding other midi instrument a doddle They are around the £250 mark but i have one for £100 if any one is interested. You can contact me via my website using the contact us button at www.artistedirect.com However if its sounds you are looking for why not try and get a sound module instead then the sound card wont matter I use an old Roland U220 which is pre GM but i swear by it the sounds are excelent and the controls over effects are built in. Alternativley you could look at getting a good keyboard interface with internal sound bank i recomend the Korg K5 as a lower end priced model.
  6. Vangsgaard

Vangsgaard New Member

M-Audio

I use an Audiophile 24/96 soundcard and it is great both as a midi and audiocard - I love it

And it is cheap

Look for other products from M-Audio on their own site
  7. AnJ639

AnJ639 New Member

I stongly reccomend www.sonicimplants.com

they have THE BEST SOUNDFONTS PERIOD!

Only catch: they are not free. but definately worth it!

just hook yourself up with their 24mb GM/GS Soundfont for generic playback (like browsing this awesome site)

"only 24mb?" you say? just try it I doubt you will be dissapointed. they even have demo mp3's for all of their soundfonts.

and then get whatever else you need

I admit I am more of an audiophile than a musician (but I try)
    but heres my setup:

SB Audigy 2 Platinum
    Logitech Z-680 speakers (highly reccomend!)
    Cakewalk Express
    FruityLoops 3.56 Full (with all the trimmings: wasp, dx10, simsynth, soundfont player)
    A somewhat old (but still great 4 me anyway) Yamaha PSR-530 Keyboard
    and a bunch of Sonic Implants

maybe not so oddly enough, when my friends come over all they want to do is play music on my system ;)

BTW here are two links for two demo mp3's of Sonic Implants "24 Megabyte GM Wavetable Set "

http://www.sonicimplants.com/MPG3/SonicImplantsGS24_Stripe_Jacket.mp3

http://www.sonicimplants.com/MPG3/SonicImplantsGS24_Surface_Motion.mp3

after all this you may as well click here

thanks for reading my long post :)
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2002
  8. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

check e bay, i got my sound blaster live for £25.
  9. Nil Einne

Nil Einne New Member

If you have a base line level comp (P2 500) and don't want do to do lots of other stuff while you play midis, try Yamaha XG-100 soft synth. It beats the crap out of the (apparently abandoned) Virtual SoundCanvas IMHO. If you're made of cash, there is always the Seer Audio or something (or was it Reel Sear?) soft synth. As mentioned you have to be made of cash for this becoz last I checked, they didn't have anything under $500.

Alternatively, if you have a really good comp or don't mind prerendering your midis, try Audio Compositor or Poly Hedric Wavmaker. I'm not sure about Wavmaker but Audio Compositor supports realtime rendering altho it is not yet optimised for it. Wavmaker comes with a GM/GS instrument set tho will Audio Compositor required you supply your own (Soundfont, DLS etc)...
  10. oceanlake

oceanlake New Member

What do you all think of the turtle beach santa cruz?
  11. jasonfoo

jasonfoo New Member

www.dabs.com for the uk can be cheap, and definately worth at least a look :)
  12. mstannard

mstannard New Member

My step brothers got a Terratec, its very good I'm personally a Soundblaster fan.... they've come a long way since the adlib days :p
  13. mstannard

mstannard New Member

14. Shu

Shu New Member

Sound Blaster

I like the Audigy Xgamer
  15. Allistaire

Allistaire New Member

If you want to work only with midi, a Creative will work fine.
    If you want to work with audio files, forget Creative and search for Terratec, Audiotrak or, better, Creamware!
  16. jon-paul

jon-paul New Member

Well ive replied before and told you guy's about the audigy platinum ex however i have recently Changed to a Digi001 from Pro-Tools and all i can say is WOW!

Although there is no onboard sounds (because it is a pro audio card) the quality of the ADC's (Anouloge to Digital converters for the uninitiated) is out of this world. the midi ports have 0 latency and it comes equiped with such features as Phantom Power or +48v as it is sometimes reffered to as well as t digital input and outputs and upto 18 in and outs i realy recommend this card.

it works with most sequencer programs (using asio drivers) but is at its best with Pro-tools. if you just want the great ADC's but not worried about the midi aspect then a chaeper option is the new M Box which comes with the latest Pro-Tools 6 at About £350 the Digi 001 is about £600 but beleive me once you check out the quality you will never use another audio card again and in the case of the 001 never use another midi interface card again.

Digi 001 gets a big:thumbsup:
  17. nigeyd

nigeyd New Member

Gentlemen
    For low latency audio and standard midi using an external keybord would you reccomend an audiophile 96/24 a terratec or something else for under £150??