Best Soundcard for Midi-Freaks

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by EgP, Apr 17, 2004.

1. EgP

EgP New Member

Hi folks,

i want to upgrade my PC to enhance the Soundperformence.
    I'm playing guitar and use midi-files for playing background.
    which soundcard is for this usage the right joice.
    (Now I'm using Creative Soundblaster Live value with 8 MB Soundfont).

Thanx for your help.
    EgP
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Since you already own a Soundfont capable card, I'm not sure quite where you imagine you can 'improve' it.

Perhaps you would be beter off searching the net for some alternative Soundfonts (there are plenty of them) before you start spending money on a new/different card.
  3. Zandro

Zandro New Member

4. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Sometimes its the player.... Some files sound better in Cakewalk than they do in the Creative player that comes with the soundcard
  5. Graeme

Graeme New Member

You lost me there, Jeannie :) .

At the end of the day, if he's using a Soundfont capable card, then the sounds he gets are down to the Soundfonts which he has loaded into it. The sequencer which drives the card isn't going to make any difference (unless it is also loading Soundfonts of its own, that is).

There are, literally, hundreds of these things about. I have 10 CD's full of them - and they're just the ones which you can find for free on the 'net. There should be something around which would give EgP the improvement he is seeking without having to buy more hardware.

BTW, I haven't forgotten the 'other place' - but I'm up to my neck in a major equipment upgrade (one which I am beginning to regret undertaking) and I haven't the time to get involved in any depth yet. So, I thought it better to wait until I have a bit more time on my hands.
  6. EgP

EgP New Member

Thanx for your replies.
    It's interesting what you say about the alternative Soundfonts.
    Do you can post a URL where are you mean, there's the best place to download.
    I'm very anxious for further informations.

Take care
    EgP
  7. Zandro

Zandro New Member

8. EgP

EgP New Member

Wow,

thank you Zandro!
  9. Zandro

Zandro New Member

You're quite welcome :) I even build my own SoundFont patches... if you are in need of any GM patch in particular, I can hook you up for free.
  10. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I use the soundblaster live with additional fonts, and thanks to midibuddy forums for putting me on the straight and narrow, getting far better sounds now with 8mb fonts. Would love a SB Audigy card!
  11. lovehermadly

lovehermadly New Member

if you are recording your guitar as well, then you need a good interface between the computer and the guitar as well ... look into some afordable midiman stuff
  12. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Since we're in the topic of SoundFonts, I'm going to take this opportunity to do a little sameless self-advertising. :) In my work, I shrink and crop, tune and adjust, pick and prod previously built SF patches to my liking, and put them in my master GM bank, which I plan to release in the future. A few of my patch banks are permanently hosted at the new and true SF2MIDI archive, put up by a foreign enthusiast, located at http://www.sf2midi.com. Now don't go thinking that you can download and run! I want to hear from you what you think about these banks! :) My main goals during editing is very high quality:low size ratio.

Keyword: ZSF
    http://www.sf2midi.com/index.php?se...rch=files&page=search&submitButtonName=Go! >>

Don't mind the two SY85LOOP.SF2 banks. I don't know why those are considered search hits.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2004