Best Type of Computer (desktop/laptop/flatscreen/widescreen)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ryancguy, May 20, 2004.

1. ryancguy

ryancguy New Member

I think I want a pentium 4 widescreen laptop with dvd-r and dvdv rom . . . .
  2. gaylenmiller

gaylenmiller New Member

If you're interested in Computer Games at all (Counter-Strike 2, Far Cry, Battlefield 1942) you'll need a PC to hold the high-end video card these games require.
  3. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Desktop with big monitor and tower with power! Win 98 as more stable than XP which I personally cannot get on with despite trying on the laptop. Good old fashioned desktop PC person!
  4. Jack

Jack New Member

What do you want the Computer for music or games?
  5. xj911

xj911 We Todd ED Staff Member Moderator

Not a Mac person but that new Imac with everything built into the flat screen is awesome! A really fast tablet PC would be nice too.
  6. KingXII

KingXII S MOD

I saw pictures of the new Imac :drool: :: wonders if I can get a PC to fit into that ::
    back to the subject on the best computer. It really depends on what you are going to be using it for. Desktops are more capable for recording, games, graphics, and the like than laptops are, which are mainly for portablility, although some are equal to upper-mid desktops. Screen type is a matter of preference, there are several types of screens which people call flat, first is really a regular monitor with a flat face to reduce glare, second is a lcd monitor which is thin because the image is actually on the screens face, with backlighting, third are plasmas, which costs more than you'll ever want to spend. Regular monitors are better for graphics and games because of accurate color reproduction and response time. LCDs are better for space saving and saving electricity. LCDs use backlighting so dark colors are not as dark as they are supposed to be and response times are much slower than crts (crts react at the speed of light) therefore you can see tails when something moves across the screen, which is called ghosting.

There are 3 major computer cpu manufactures for home use, intel, amd, and apple (mac). Intels has higher floating point than amds of the same speed (speed as in how much work the processor does), amds does more work per clock cycle, which means they run at slower speeds but does more work as a faster intel processor. Intels are more suitable for applications and work use, which is because of the higher floating point (how fast it can calculate stuff). Amds are more suitable for gaming where the processor needs to be quick and not predicting or calculating things very exactly. The calculations these processors provide are much more accurate than we will ever need. Macs are generally used for graphics and many types of design.

johnrowley said that win98 is more stable than xp, which isn't true, if you can get your hands on video of the press release presentation, presented by Bill Gates himself, for win98, it crashes during the presentation. Windows XP is much more stable than 9x because it fully 32bit, while 9x is only a 16 bit kernel.

I hope all this helps in your quest for your best computer, there is no best computer, which ever computer that suits you more is the best computer.
  7. cchen1

cchen1 New Member

It really will depend on what you're gonna use the computer for. You can get a laptop that is capable of playing the latest games, but that will cost you. It'll also probably be pretty heavy.
  8. mattitude

mattitude New Member

I like laptops. They're convenient if you want to watch near the TV or something like that. and also, many of them come with infrared ports, so i can tranfer midi's to my phone.
  9. robbith

robbith New Member

I'd have to say go for a desktop. More expansion for the future. Laptop's aren't bad but really what they have is what you're stuck with, the only thing you can change is the RAM or HDD.