Best type of mic

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by boxcarRacer, Feb 21, 2004.

1. boxcarRacer

boxcarRacer New Member

im im doing some recording at home, what microphone do you recommend
  2. S1an1de

S1an1de New Member

personally...i would recommend the cheap and cheerful Sure SM58 ....its totally bombproof, and a good general purpose mic
  3. Graeme

Graeme New Member

It rather depends on what you want to record.

For vocals, the usual recommendation is a large condenser, since these tend to work well with most vocalists, although it's not a hard and fast rule and some might well sound better with an SM58!

Acoustic guitar, generally a small diameter condenser is a good starting point.

Electric guitars (through amp and cab), the cheaper dynamics will probably be fine.

Electric guitars (using modelling software/hardware), you'd probably find a simple line link to the recording system would work fine for you and a mic would be unnecessary.

Drum kits - mainly dynamic mics work best, although you might want to use condensers on the overheads.

There are a lot of cheap mics out there these days - mainly from China - and many are quite good value for money. A few are exceptional, but they are not built to the same high and tight standards of the mics they are attempting to emulate, so don't exect to buy two and use them as a matched pair!
  4. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Sm58 are very good but expensive at £100 to £150. I use Audio Technica Midnight Blue 1000L series which has high output and crisp clear sound. Cost around £65.00 or go for a cheaper Audio Technica Pro 242 at around £25.00 approx.
  5. S1an1de

S1an1de New Member

Tandy (Radio Shack) PZM mic's work well as overheads on drum kits, and are a damn site cheaper than condenser mic's.

the whole microphone thing is subjective anyways, its really down to budget. Do you want to pay £1000+ for a condenser mic, or do you want a good sound on a budget of say less than £200?

and damn SM58's have gone up in price since i last bought one. i was paying £85 tops for em....but i think this had summit to do with a container of em getting nicked from a shipyard and the market getting flooded with...errr ummm warm ones
  6. Graeme

Graeme New Member

The original Tandy PZM's were re-badged Crowns and were very good value for money, later on they came from an unspecified source, cost more and weren't anywhere near as good.

Today, I'm not even certain that Tandy still sell them. In fact, I'm not even sure if Tandy (the UK arm of Radio Shack) are still in business - I thought they'd been absorbed into the Dixon group?
  7. Jobu

Jobu New Member

Wow, I would hate to be in a place where I thought an SM58 (at their current price) was expensive. To me they are entry level "live sound" mics (at very slightly higher than entry level price), though some recording artists do use them for their recordings. Not a bad choice for a first mic if you dont have much of a budget.
  8. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Shure SM58 are great. Work horses of the industry. I've seen them thrown across the room and still work great. I'd rather have a Shure Beta 58. They really fill in some missing frequencies.

For instruments (saxes, trumpets) I use a C-419 from AKG. They really rock.
  9. PERFECTiON

PERFECTiON New Member

me and my friend are recording an album on my computer. the mic i have now blares alot. like when we sing loud into it, the sound gets wicked loud and you can barely hear what we are saying. i dont know all the names for the mics or all that...could someone just let me know what type of mic i should get, where i should get it - all in english or stupid people language? lol thanks. preferably the mic could be 20.00 or under? thanks!
  10. thelab

thelab New Member

what genre of music are you recording?
    what kind of sound card? etc,you may need a mic - pre

anywyz i use a AT3035 - genre = HipHop
    i've tested a few various mics
    don't get a shure unless your not serious and are just playing around i.e = karoake
  11. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Wow. There was a reply saying that you wouldn't use Shure microphones if you were serious.

Here's a good story I heard from engineer for Aerosmith's Permanent Vacation album. Steve Tyler uses an old banged up Shure 58. He plugs it in and it only takes him one or two takes to finish his part in any of the songs. (Holy crap that's good).

He still uses that microphone as far as I know.

Anyway, I ended up setting up the sound for a band in my area and used a drum microphone set (5 microphones, different models) from Superlux. They are inexpensive mikes, but do sound great. If you want bang for your buck and don't have the biggest cash load, I'd grab these babies for drums (Live or studio).
  12. Jobu

Jobu New Member

Theres a big difference using an SM58 with your budget home studio vs. using an SM58 through $100,000+ worth of quality studio equipment.

From a Guitar Center Interview:

GC: So what's in your traveling vocal rig and does that mean you were able to do vocals at home as well?
    Aerosmith, Joe: Yeah. Steven did everything like that, he had a AKG C12 with some Neve EQ.
    Aerosmith, Steven: I've got 8 Neve strips.
    Aerosmith, Joe: Whatever I use on guitar here, that's what I brought on the road with me, so I actually played through the same front end on stage as was down here. We had matching C12s. Steven was singing at his house and it would match up with what he was singing here. The same gear at both ends.

Just to put that in perspective a C12 is priced close to $5000. The Neve EQ is probably in the $2000 - $3000 range and he takes 8 strips on the road with him. Add in the Pro Tools set-up and other gear and he probably has $50,000+ into a portable set-up.

I also seem to recall when they taped the Pump recording sessions he was definately not singing into a SM58. Thats not saying the SM58 may not be the best vocal mic for someone, but more often than not its not the best choice. Especially when recording with entry level equipment. Though I will say again if its all you can afford you could do a lot worse.
  13. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Thanks for the input. If I see the guy I was talking too, I'll ask him about the mike thing.

I always try to give people a cost effective alternative. You're right when you talk about what mike would be better. I think that most people are looking for the inexpensive mike with best quality.

I know I don't really have a few thousand dollars to spend on a mike, and most musicians I know don't either. I think it would be best if we broke it down to the best mike under 200.00 and then go up from there, say 300 - 500, then 500 - 1000, 1000-1500 etc.

It would give all of us a much better perspective. I did however get a kick out of someone asking about an under 20.00 mike.
  14. Oroan

Oroan New Member

What is the best kinda mic?
  15. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Overall, I think AKG microphones are great, though they get up in price.

I think that if you're economical, Shure microphones are great to start with.

I think that's the general consensus. You can go on forever with this one. It really depends on your budget.
  16. Olio

Olio New Member

If you're looking for cheap mikes and can't afford SM58, check out thomann.de. They have their own range of T-Bone mics, which are build somewhat to mimic industry standards (SM58 for example). What I've heard, they are not that bad, especially if you're doing your project at home with not-so-professional equipment.

with joy, Olio
  17. calsonik

calsonik New Member

SM58 for vocals. SM57 for instuments
  18. suireal

suireal New Member

If you are serious about your vocal sound or acoustic guitar the Neuman mics (pronounced Noyman) mic from germany is the best by far.

If you don't wish to pick up every gasp and saliva sound or your voval technique needs work the SM58 is fine for vocal and SM57 for the acoustic.

The Neuman mics are expensive but all good studios have them and they don't cost much for a weekends rental.
  19. Stewpot

Stewpot New Member

Vocal...large condenser. Guitar. SM57 or 58. But you can get great results by DI ing your guitar through something like a line 6 pod.
  20. scottbridges

scottbridges New Member

for recording...you need a good mic pre-amp and a good condenser mic. Trust me. An SM58 is for live stuff. You need a powered mixer to use an SM58 and you never want to use a power mixer to record. Look up Condenser Mics on google to learn more.