best XG editor?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by guinan, Nov 18, 2003.

1. guinan

guinan New Member

Anyone know of a free XG editor for PC?

Guinan
  2. bnjiman80

bnjiman80 Tangled Up In Blue

Yes and No

You can get XG-909 to edit drum patterns and export to midi.

The software is no longer supported by the developers. See techotoys.com for details. But you can get in on KaZaa lite and get a crack from the web.

Some people have complained this is piracy; in my view, since you can't buy it, and the company has disowned it, there's no harm in using it...email me for more info :)

XG-909 is great because for each drum, which you pick out of all of the availible XG voices, you see sixteen buttons representing whatever beat this is (semi-quavers?). So you can do your bass drums, then see a clean view for hi-hats, etc etc. You select "XG level" depending on how good your device is, and it enables/greys out different effects. You can set the volume/pan/reverb of individual drum "tracks" too. Its fab - very quick and easy to change voices (on drop down bars) once you have your basic pattern in there. Note this is unstable on XP, but fine on Windows 98.

Anyway, the main full XG editor is Yamaha XG Works. You can't get it for free. Apparantly you can get the demo, and crack it too, although I have heard rumours that the crack only disables the "30-day evaluation version" - it is not fully-functional because some code is missing from the demo. I'm not bothering to try this myself; I'm using a registered copy of Powertrax (yay!). (PT can't "do" XG effects easily, but if you load an XG midi it plays it all back ok via the XG-compatible midi driver. Presumably you could add effects manually through control changes or whatever) The XGWorks demo won't work on XP anyway; I suggest buying a copy at $70 / £52.

Cheers, Ben