cakewalk help?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by rgarel, Nov 20, 2004.

1. rgarel

rgarel New Member

Can ne1 give me a hand on how to play a midi file in media player and get it to record in cakewalk. I've tried most of the input settings but only record silence.

thanks
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Cakewalk isd a midi sequencer - you have no need to play the file in another application anyway. Just open Cakewalk and import the midi file directly into it.
  3. rgarel

rgarel New Member

That would be true if the original file was midi. Unfortunately, it is an mp3 file. I am trying to import an mp3 into cakewalk in order to get the staff music. Perhaps not possible--maybe can only import audio as wav. But if anyone knows differently...
  4. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

Well, it can be done but... the result will be a jumbled mess at best.
  5. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

I'd imagine the reason that you're having trouble recording this way is that your sound card doesn't have multiple midi recording inputs. You can get software emulators that allow to get more out of what you have, but you don't really need to do this at all. Just click File -> Open in cakewalk and click the midi you're wanting to open. :D
  6. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Ah, well now, that's not what you asked is it? - "Can ne1 give me a hand on how to play a midi file in media player and get it to record in cakewalk" - so you can hardly complain if you didn't get the answer you wanted, the question was flawed.

You're not going to like this answer either - you can not convert any polyphonic audio file format (MP3, WAV, BWF, OGG, or any of the others) to midi - it's simply not the way midi works. You do have a fighting chance of converting a file of monophonic instrument playing, but that is - without any argument - the best you will ever get.

This forum is littered with threads about this subject - do a search and I'm sure it will therow up loads of them. However, the answer is the same - no can do!
  7. rgarel

rgarel New Member

Thanks to Graeme

Point taken...I formulated my original question poorly. Thanks for sticking with me and getting the answer I needed.
  8. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

9. rgarel

rgarel New Member

Yes, indeed--good explanation in the last post. I tried WIDI Music Recognition System and Electronic Ear, along with a couple of other programs. Other than the learning experience, it was a waste of time. WIDI appears to work the best, both in ease of use and final results--but mp3-converted polyphonic files require a huge amount of editing before the midi comes close to resembling the original. Seems a lot of harmonics get picked up, as well as unintended grace notes. Thanks to all who helped out on this. b