Cakewalk vs Cubase

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by Florimo, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Florimo

Florimo New Member

Hi all,

Just thought I would ask all the cubase and cakewalk users to state the pros and cons of each. Which do people prefer in general? The question relates to general midi sequencing and audio recording.

Cheers,

Florimo
    :hit:
  2. eojeda

eojeda New Member

Hi !!

Have been using Cakewalk since 1993.

It a very good product for midi sequencing and it has evolved with technology.

Easy to use, nice user interface, friendly user screens.

There are not too many things you would have to learn to start sequencing with Cakewalk, regardless of the complexity of your sequence.

Now, DO NOT forget sequencers are simple and stupid EVENT recorders.

Events like notes, controllers, sysex, etc. but recorders.

I guess all sequencers are very good recorders.

Now, what sequencer gives you the best choice of features and functions ?

It all depends on how good a musician you are, how good can you play a keyboard or any midi event generating instrument.

If you are a very good player I would say ANY sequencer will do the job.

If (like me) you are not a very good player, then the sequencer that gives you the richest set of features and functions for note and chord editing should be your choice.

I am VERY comfortable with with Cakewalk.

I have no idea about Cubase but reminds me of the time when I was an expert on LOTUS 1-2-3 and my corp decided to change to MS Excel.

Was Lotus 1-2-3 better than Excel ? or viceversa ?

Is Cakewalk better than Cubase ?

In my case, I was able to adapt to change and get the BEST result out of it.

Pick any, master it and I bet you will stick with it as long as the tool helps your sequenced music exceed your expectations.

I hope this helps.

Ed.
  3. Florimo

Florimo New Member

Thanks for your comments Ed.

I too have been using cakewalk for a few years but I am not really a professional musician and use it basically to modify midi files and to record my own compositions straight from guitar and vocals. I find it very comfortable to use.

Just out of interest, I purchased Cubase but I am too lazy to sit down and work out how to use it. I am sure it is just as good.

Thanks for your post.

Florimo
  4. lcadwell

lcadwell New Member

Cubase is very powerful but I find it crashed a lot. I use calkwalk more often than not. It's usually quite friendly and the parametric EQ is a dream for audio.
  5. -Mm-

-Mm- New Member

Is there a big differance between Cubase and Cakewalk?
    I use cakewalk, but i was just wondering if they are much differant from each other.
  6. xScorpionx

xScorpionx New Member

Cakewalk forever!
  7. beerbelly

beerbelly New Member

i just started sequencing midis just around 5 months ago and what i use is cakewalk.

its actually user friendly and not that complicated. i dont know anythng about sequencing before. all i know is to play the guitar. just thought i dabbled into it so my friend lent me his copy but with no manual. i just feel my way through it and the next thing i know, i'm sequenicng. (but not yet that good.)

havent tried cubase but some of my friends tell me its cool.

but what they are really into now is logic. but that is a different story.

:cool:
  8. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

There is a bit more of a learning curve for Cubase - It is rally rich in features, and very powerful, but I gave up too quickly on it. I'll give it another shot someday when I have time.
    Cakewalk Pro is powerful and simple to use.
    A little more advanced and more powerfull yet is Cakewalk Sonar. I recently upgraded to 2.0, and am thrilled with the positive differences from previous versions.

If you're into fast and easy learning, I would recommend Cakewalk Products - if you have a little more time to learn, use Cubase.
  9. whats up

whats up New Member

i use cakewalk music creater and i found it the most easy pragram to use, i have also used pro logic , magik and they just suck except for ripping in the magix audio studio + cakewalk is cheap \ 8 out of 10
  10. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

I use cakewalk and it's quite user friendly. Cubase is something most professional recording studios use, (or so I am told). It seems to be quite powerful and existing editing software is supposed to be tooled more for it's use, but I am skeptical. If up to me, I wouldn't change from cakewalk.
  11. BlackHawk

BlackHawk New Member

I have used Cubase, and I must say I didn't really like it.

I have been using Cakewalk products since 1995, and I recently got SONAR 2. I haven't looked back since. 'Nuff said.
  12. Aggelosphos

Aggelosphos New Member

Big Cakewalk fan here myself!

Aggelosphos
  13. hui4o

hui4o New Member

cubase is much better
  14. Dr Chemikill

Dr Chemikill New Member

The hardest part of CAKEWALK is paying for it...

Cakewalk is perfect for converting MIDIs/ KARs into wave form and playing along to with any instrument.Our band allways uses Cakewalk to record demos with and recently we even used it for Video work,although you can`t edit video you can tidy/align audio whilst previewing the video.EXCELLENT.

Cubase has the benifit of accepting VST plug-ins which seem to be eveywhere I only wish Cakewalk would do something to allow these not just Dx-8.

I also write my KAR files in Cakewalk inc lyrics and find it a doddle.

CAKEWLK RULES.
  15. JokinPaha

JokinPaha New Member

I think cakewalk is good but for me there are many mysteries unsolved 'cause I'm a newbie
  16. seb22

seb22 New Member

I prefer cakewalk
  17. bubbleboy

bubbleboy New Member

I've been using Cubase since 1992 on a Mac and use Cakewalk Sonar on a PC at work. Very used to Cubase and my mac so I would say I prefer it although Sonar isn't bad. Stiffer learning curve with Cubase but worth it in the end. Sonars midi is a bit clunky but I'm on Windows 2000 pro, which isn't brilliant. Overall I think it depends on what you wanna do. If you're into midi composition, its Cubase. For Audio looping and editing they're pretty close but its still Cubase
  18. aeiou2003

aeiou2003 New Member

which of the two is better for scoring midi files?
  19. nidogflynn

nidogflynn New Member

Hi, a newby here!

I have tried both cubase SX as well as Sonar 2.

Both are extremely powerful apps. However, whilst sonar is probably- no, definately!-easier to use, I feel that Cubase is more fully equipped. Cubase is easily the more complete midi editor and comes complete with a great selection of plugins for both midi and audio. But most musicians probably won't use all of the power of either one of these apps.

The one reason I find myself using Sonar is that it support DXi's.
    and with the appropriate converter you can also use VSTi's. And what's more, you can render down the softsynths as audio offline. This means it is very quick and efficient to convert your midi tracks to audio. This frees up CPU cycles, allowing you to use even more plugins if needed.

ut if Cubase supported DXi's then I'd probably use it.
  20. sidney

sidney New Member

I have been using cakewalk since the early 90's.
    I find it very user friendly. I use midi for live gigs as well as
    recording, and cakewalk supports a playlist that you can that you
    can set time delays between songs. I also have cubase which does not feature these functions. Cubase is a very powerful tool with a lot of user support, but overall I choose Cakewalk.