Can anyone recommend a good Drum EQ?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Melismatic, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Melismatic

Melismatic New Member

I find it really difficult to EQ MIDI Drums,

I suppose you could say it relies on the genre of music you're going for,
    but if anyone could post their most used EQ (On percussion) setup so I could get some ideas then that would be brilliant.

All genres accepted.

Thanks.
  2. Caperkidd

Caperkidd New Member

what do you mean by drum eq? To make your drums sound better? I think if you don't like the sound, you need to buy a better sequencer. I paid $1400(USD) for my Yamaha Motif Rack XS and the drums are incredible but trying to match it up to the original of 100 different bands is not easy. You can't make a $200 keyboard sound better if that's what your playing your midi through off your computer/uploads, whatever. My old setup I ran my Yamaha PSR-340 keyboard through a Behringer vocal compressor/expander/de-esser, which took away the sharp snare drum at 200hz and made the upper range of the keyboard not as sharp on the ears, but the Motif was over 100 times better the sound. For a Rock kit, some songs you'll find you'll have to zoom in and double up the toms in the solos and make them 25 frames out of sync so you can get a small delay sound. It doesn't take that long, you can crop, and when you click paste, change the start frame of the section, and delete extra beats. In general leveling of each note, tambourines tend to be too loud by about +12/127. But every keyboard and every computer, even operating system will play the file differently. Trust your ears though, it doesn't always work out.