Can't get a note.........

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by olias, Jan 26, 2002.

1. olias

olias New Member

Heres where you guys get an opportunity to really feel good about yourselves by making a poor lost soul really happy...:D

I am not a tecchie so bear with me please

I have a Casio CTK-631. My PC is a PII 350 with 128k ram and running Windows 98me.

No matter what I do I cannot get the pc to see midi information from the keyboard. I have upgraded from Soundblaster 64pci to Soundblaster Live, I have swopped the leads round as apparently a lot of people plug them in the wrong way round but no joy.

The keyboard is set to 'local off' as per the instructions but still nothing.

I really feel that it might be that no midi data is being sent from the keyboard rather than the pc settings although that is just a feeling.

I read somewhere that the I/O port settings on the pc need to be set to a certain something but I wouldn't know where to look or what to check.

Thanks in advance for your expertise and patience that I will undoubtedly require....
  2. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Does the SB Live have it's own sets of ins and outs or is it the value?

Can you get things to play through the computer? You'll have to play around with settings in Control Panel > Multimedia > MIDI (tab). There should be a list of different outputs. Make sure it's set to the 'SB MIDI Out' or similar.

You shouldn't have to do anything with the keyboard. I have a similar one and they basically have the same features and settings.
  3. olias

olias New Member

?? The cable plugs straight into the soundcard in its own joystick type port. The other ends are 2 Din plugs that go into the in/out ports of the keyboard. Not sure if that is what you meant?

Yeah, games an stuff, cd's play fine...

'k, on the audio tab under 'Midi music playback' the choices are:
    1. microsoft gs wavetable sw synth.
    2. SB live MIDI UART
    3. A:SB Live Midi Synth
    4. B:SB Live Midi Synth
    5. Audio pci Midi Synth
    6. Audio pci Midi Out

It is set to number 3.

Hope this makes sense tpearl5......Thanks for responding by the way :)
  4. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Okay, do you don't have dedicated plugs for MIDI on the SB Live? It's just the joystick cable? Are you sure you don't have the small MIDI ports anywhere? (they'd be on the Live Drive IR or the small brother card) If not don't worry about it. It's probably the Value card, right?

You should have your MIDI settings set to #2 (I think) That's what mine is set to. If this doesn't work, try #6. (6 sounds like an old driver however that was left over from another card)

When set to any other setting do you get MIDI playback through your computer?
  5. olias

olias New Member

sorry for the delay, i had to wait for the weekend.

I have tried all six midi out options in the control panel but no joy from any.

The diagnostics of the S/B live card produce sounds on all tabs and the virtual keyboard uses the MIDI UART output so i can get sounds using the mouse :rolleyes: lets pop some bubbly......

meanwhile nothing from the keyboard....

the actual S/B card has the joystick port connention and 5 other mini jack connections coloured black, green, pink, blue & orange in that order, all have little signs next to them and the pc speakers are plugged into the green one (cd's play fine)

my midi cables have the twin din plugs that connect to the keyboard and a joystick connection at the other end, there is also a connector attached to them that looks like a printer type connection?? maybe this is an alternative connector to the din plugs???

this has been dragging on for two years now...I hope you can help come up with something, :confused:
  6. gary1b

gary1b New Member

Might sound a bit silly but have you tried another midi cable ???

Is the joystick setup/configured in Widows ???

Do you have a joystick to test the midi/joystick port ???
  7. jrobertson

jrobertson board member

don,t forget the midi "out" cable goes to the midi in and vice versa
    i know this is obvious but you never know.
  8. cctarlton

cctarlton New Member

more help/midi interface

I've read over and over at tech sites that the joystick port of a sound card is NOT stable for music.

I would suggest buying a midi interface that connects to a USB port like the midiman 1x1 or 2x2. $44 to $69.00

That way you dont have to be turning your computer tower around everytime......the interface sits right on your desktop, and delivers much faster data than using the joystick port, which, was obviously designed for games & a joystick, thus the name.

Then your ins & outs would be obvious, the name of the USB interface.

I started out with a Casio 671 as well; have moved up to the big boy Yamaha PSR 740.

But the casio is a good keyboard.

My music files are at http://www.roncat.net/private.htm
  9. gary1b

gary1b New Member

I have read the last thread and would like to know what sound card has been described in the techie reviews.

I have had my Roland D-50, U-20 and a Kawai K1 connected to my SoundBlaster Live for the best part of 3 years without
    a single midi problem.
  10. cctarlton

cctarlton New Member

good for you.

You mean you have a top notch sound card, SB Live, and you use the JOYSTICK port for your midi connector?

I thought the whole thing about getting a "pro" sound card was that it had dedicated midi in & out ports (5 pin type.)

Have to know the answer to that before I go on with this......answer.

Cathy
  11. cctarlton

cctarlton New Member

not going to wait...

I'll go ahead & post the rest of my answer. No "brand names" have been used that I remember in talking about the joystick port being used for midi.

Just that its much better to use an actual midi interface, which is built for midi.

Makes sense to me.

I do everything with midi from rock to classical orchestral pieces and need precise data transfer, so I didn't want to take any chances.

Not that the JOYSTICK ports, "don't" work, they DO -- but "real" 5 pin midi interfaces work better.

Glad to hear you haven't had problems.....don't be so defensive! If it works for you, great! I was just giving this person, who has a 2 year "BAD" relationship with their joystick port, another option.

Cathy t

http://www.roncat.net/private.htm
    http://www.roncat.net/athousandmilesnew.MP3
  12. gary1b

gary1b New Member

Apologies Cathy if I sounded a bit defensive. Wasn't meant to come across like that.

I think it might be nice to hear from Olias to find out if any help given has made a difference since it has been 6 months since the original post.

:cool: :cool:
  13. Liam

Liam New Member

Definitely try a dedicated midi interface. I use a Yamaha PSR 9000 pro keyboard and even all that sophistocated hardware struggled with the joystick connection. Even the very cheapest midi interface is much more effective.
  14. xixek

xixek New Member

hi
    what does it mean unstable joystick port ?
    what is going on when you use it?
    thanks for an answer,

(i'm happy 4-day ctk-671 user with midi-joystick port connection)
    :p
  15. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

The joystick cable connection described is the right one for the keyboard midi to the game port, the other printer type connection is for the joystick as well into the same port as midi does not use all the pins. Worth upgrading the memory to 256 or more for WinME. Could try uninstalling and reinstalling the sound card and selecting SB out (either no 1 or 6 for midi out and select local on for the keyboard. What sequencing software do you use? As in the software you can select where to send the midi output to. Failing that you could use a usb to midi connector from a large music supplier.
  16. Ren Hoek

Ren Hoek New Member

Actually Gary1b is probably right. I had the same problem a Olias and had to buy a new midi/joystick cable. my old one came with an AudioTRIX pro soundcard (yeah i know it's very old) and wasn't "sound blaster compatible" even though it worked with an old SB pro.