Can't open midi in cakewalk??

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by jeo, Sep 4, 2003.

1. jeo

jeo New Member

Hi everyone
    Has anyone experience before of not able to open a midi in cakewalk? i tested the midi already and it can be played but when i tried to open in cakewalk it failed. Anyone know the reason??
  2. Jo-

Jo- Soopa Doopa

Are you trying to open it with Winamp already open?

Just make sure that whatever software (in my case Winamp) you use to listen to your midi's is closed, before trying to open Cakewalk.

See if that helps?
  3. Nighthawk999

Nighthawk999 New Member

Try playing the cakewalk demos
  4. ianjra

ianjra New Member

The only reason why it can not be played are:
    a. if the file has been corrupted
    b. if the file extension has been changed.
    Cakewalk support and should play any MIDI file with mid file extension
  5. SquantoMD

SquantoMD New Member

You should download Anvil Studio, it works very well, has never failed me! :rock:
  6. jeo

jeo New Member

I've checked already the file is not corrupted. It can be played in winamp or windows media player. The only problem is it cannot be opened in cakewalk. Still figuring out why...:rolleyes:
  7. JHNYR

JHNYR New Member

Trimming?

Is there a way to trim files in Cakewalk, without cutitng out a whole channel? I can cut part of a channel... but it goes past the marker, usually to another beat or something. Is there a way to just splice the tracks at a certain point, and drop everything before it? (IOW... I want to get rid of about 5 sec. of silence and drums from opening)
  8. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Sometimes a .mid file has been renamed from a .kar. This will allow it to be played in any regular media player, but not be opened by cakewalk. I have done this with several .kar files. I would change the extension to .mid and be able to open it with my cakewalk software. Every once in a while it wouldn't work, so I'd change the extension back to .kar and open it with Powertracks Pro and convert it to a midi file.

Some cakewalk versions will open a .kar file. If not, you will have to find something to open AND SAVE. Open it with another program, and then save it with a different name.:confused2
  9. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

There are many reasons why it may not open I've always been able to open such files in other programs saving them and they've never failed in all the years doing this. If you are still having difficulty after following the above advice maybe try downloading it again next ...if not try attaching it we could take a look at it.
  10. jeo

jeo New Member

Yeah i've tried everthing. Downloading the file again. Changing the extension etc. But it still cannot open. The funny thing is the file is not corrupt. It can be played on a winamp player or windows media player though. Is it a bug in cakewalk itself?
  11. frchung

frchung New Member

Are you able to open other MIDI files with your cakewalk or all MIDI files can't be opened ?

I've never had any problems with cakewalk (all the versions I've used before) opening MIDI files.

It could be that particular file have something "strange" inside. As GMAN69 offered - you can post the file here for us to take a look.
  12. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I'd be glad to take a look at it. I've written MIDI parsing utilities in the past. If there's anything amiss we should be able to find it. Can you upload the file(s) in question?
  13. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Ah, beat me to it.
  14. effected

effected New Member

I had thee xact problem, this froum had been great. thanks guys
  15. chasjules

chasjules New Member

In regards to file opening. Has anyone ever suffered where they've save a file programmed in Cakewalk, but when you've gone to retrieve the file, Cakewalk says the file can't be opened. I used to use Cakewalk 9.03 but I reformatted my computer and found that my CD of Cakewalk was corrupt, so I went back to version 8. Since then about one in every ten files saved in Cakewalk format has been corrupt. I have at one stage saved a file on three different medias, and still ended up with corrupt files.
    PS Had no trouble with version 9.
  16. DACTYL

DACTYL New Member

Opening midifile

HI GANG
    HAVE YOU TRIED DRAGGING THE FILE FROM YOUR 'WINDOWS EXPLORER' INTO 'CAKEWALK?THIS METHOD HAS WORKED FOR ME.
  17. jeo

jeo New Member

Hi everyone
    Here is the midi. Can be played but cannot be opened in cakewalk. I'm using cakewalk 8.0. Not sure whether is due to the version though.

Attached Files:

18. frchung

frchung New Member

You are jeo, this file can't be opened with cakewalk or even an old sequencer (powertrack pro) which i have too.

At first glance, that file's initial header has some MThd......, which makes it in the midi format, but subsequently, the data seems to be having something odd!!!!:confused:
    I've downloaded the PSM player V3.8 (from where this file seemed to have been created?? and meant for a mobile handphone ) and re-created the midi file, which finally can be opened with cakewalk!

I would say that your original file definitely has something extra in the file header definition that makes it not readable by those sequencers like cakewalk, and that would take me some time to analyse that.
    Maybe someone else is going to pinpoint that from the file.

Here's the file buddy, good luck!

That was a good to get our brains cracking here :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

19. ZelRiptha

I'll take a look at it tomorrow at work. :)
  20. ZelRiptha

Here are some things to note:

Here's a hex dump of the beginning of the file:

Code:
    4d 54 68 64 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 05 01 e0 4d 54 72 6b 00 00 MThd   .   ..àMTrk

Notice the Header begins with MThd - this is true for all MIDI files. The next four bytes tell the size of the header (6 bytes). The next two bytes tell the type of MIDI file. This is a problem for this file. It claims to be a Type 0 file, but is actually a Type 1 file. This might be the source of Cakewalk's trouble.

Francis's fixed file is actually a Type 0 MIDI: all the data is in one track. If we could hex-edit the file and change the 10th byte in the file (2nd byte in the header data) to 0x01, it would probably load into Cakewalk. Okay, following that hunch, I downloaded a freeware hex-editor and changed only that one byte from 0x00 to 0x01. Tada! It now loads in Cakewalk. :thumbsup:

Here's the only-one-byte-changed file:

p.s. I'm not sure how the file got that way, but I can only assume it was saved with a not-so-good sequencing program.

Attached Files: