Can't open midi in cakewalk??

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by jeo, Sep 4, 2003.

1. frchung

frchung New Member

That's great Mark to get the file fixed in this way :thumbsup:

It's really handy to get a hex editor. I would need to download one too, as Norton Commander (which I'm using) can only view the file in hex code.

I would agree that this file seemed to have originated from a sequencer, which is not following the MIDI file format norms.

Cheers to you, Mark for enlightening this mystery x-file :wiggle:
  2. jeo

jeo New Member

Thanks!! You the man though i still very sure what the hex means. By the way, whats the different between type 0 and type 1? And whats does riff midi means? Thanks again!!!
  3. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Sorry, that hex is the contents of the beginning of the MIDI file you posted expressed in hexadecimal. Each group of two hex characters is a byte (8 bits). The part at the right of the "code" section is the ASCII representation of the hex. ASCII is simply a code that maps characters, like letters and numbers, to binary numbers. A byte can hold any binary number from 00000000 (0x00 hex, zero decimal) to 11111111 (0xff hex, 255 decimal). So, the ASCII representation of the first 4 bytes (4d 54 68 64) is "MThd". If you open a MIDI file in a text editor, you'll see that those are always the first 4 characters in the file.

The difference between a type 0 and type 1 MIDI file is that a type 0 file contains only one track, with all the notes in the whole song in that one track. A type 1 file can have multiple tracks with each track containing the notes from one part. For more info, you can read here.

I'm not sure what you mean by "riff midi"? :confused2
  4. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

This is from that link I posted, since it wasn't on the first page of the site. It describes the different "types" of standard MIDI files.
  5. jeo

jeo New Member

Ohh..the riff midi is one of the options under the save function in cakewalk. So i'm kindda curious what it means as a riff midi. It also has a riff midi 0 and riff midi 1. :rolleyes: