CINCINNATI, Ohio - Police situation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NaDuHCoP, Dec 5, 2003.

1. NaDuHCoP

NaDuHCoP MIDI COP

What are your thoughts on the situation when the 2 police officers tried to arrest the man from CINCINNATI, Ohio? Do you think they handled it well? I am just curious. I am in law and am just curious what others think about it. Thnx for your opinions!!!
  2. Sk8er

Sk8er Vegitatum davenportae

What happened?
  3. VenagE

VenagE All that Jelly , No ToasT

Les Face it :

In their prespective :

He was fighting back we had to neutralize him ...

In ours :

Cops are PI** , poor men they could've just hand-culfed him .

Aight , What do we think ?

If cops have all this power in their hands and all , did they really have to beat the man to death , 450 LBS or 50 LBS it don't matter especially when you're more then 3 , Use your stupid ass pepper spray , hand-culf him and arrest him ... Since you're all very well trained , WOW ! so much for the best training when 1 man because of size advantage can scare you to the point where you have to beat em to death ...
  4. NaDuHCoP

NaDuHCoP MIDI COP

I do not believe the police officers were afraid of him. I do believe they were protecting themselves. This guy was a big guy and they could not neutralize him. They could not handcuff him because he was not allowing them to.

The suspect had methenol and cocaine in him which makes a person act violent. And a 350lbs violent man is hard to retain. He was throwing punches and not letting the officers doing their job.

Basically what happened with the police doing the right thing in the beginning, turned out to make them look bad in the end.

As we talked about in my LAW classes that the whole "nightstick" thing is something I personally do not believe in, along with my professor. They could have taken other measures perhaps. Maybe jump on the guys back and put their arm under his chin to cut his breathe short to knock him unconscious...They do teach that in the Academy, and that is perfectly legal, rather then beat him with a nightstick.

Any other opinions?
  5. - Da Ville -

- Da Ville - HOME OF THE BEATS

i think they started out protecting themselves, but went overboard with the nightsticks not realizing this guy's health problems and drug levels. that guy was as big as a damn grizzly. i think had he been black, white, french, they would have done it the same way.
    ;)
  6. - Da Ville -

- Da Ville - HOME OF THE BEATS

by the way, i think police should have to use a stun-gun as a first option and only use their guns in extreme life threatening situations.
  7. NaDuHCoP

NaDuHCoP MIDI COP

A police officer can use his firearm when he feels his or her life is being threatened. I think they could have gone about a different way to neutralizing the suspect, but again, they chose their way to try and get him to stop and give up. He did not give up so they continued their struggle with him. Unfortunately, it did not work out for the suspect.

As we all learned when we were young children...
    "DONT DO DRUGS!!!"
  8. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

While I am supportive of any police force in its pure sense... I think that any individual policeman - just like me - is capable of a lapse in judgement. Its a shame that a a little dose of humanity can cost another human life... but so could my lapse of judgement, say, behind the wheel of a car. Its a further shame that our society sensationalizes mistakes made by those in authority. Yes, I think the police involved need to be dealt with... no, I don't think the world needed to watch the video of athe beating which eventually caused a man's death.
  9. VenagE

VenagE All that Jelly , No ToasT

the guy was on drugs, obviously if you hit him , he will not feel it because of whatever drugs do to you (i have no idea) therefore the cop did what he had to do , but why did i say to use the pepper spray is because, if you hit a person with a nightstick on the ribs obviously it will hurt, 1 time OK , 2 times Ok here's a tough guy, 3 times DAMN IS HE SUPERMAN OR SOMETHING ? 4 time , 5 times 6 times , the cop is not stupid he obviously knew he was on drugs and continued to beat the guy over and over .

Nightsicks should be used in case the other party uses an object as a weapon, like you guys say you do recieve intensive training which lets you take control of any situation, never the less , there are a lot of crazy people out there who will do anything to evaid the cops, risking their own life without even knowing it if they have to , if cops are there to rescue and save lifes they should have in some way some kind of neutralising weapons , if you know what i mean :)
  10. NaDuHCoP

NaDuHCoP MIDI COP

In reguards to Venage...If a suspect uses a weapon on me, I will pull out my gun. Not my nightstick. After my shift is done, I am going to make sure I am going home to my family.