Computer MIDI Connection

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Senior Genii, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Senior Genii

Senior Genii New Member

Hello,
    I have a Creative AWE64 sound card on a PC running Windows 98, that I wish to connect to a Roland W-30 keyboard.
    I have a gameport - midi cable, which I have connected. But so far no joy.
    Question (and this may sound really dopey), do I need additional software to play directly through the computer?
    My ultimate goal is to be able to burn CD's of the music I play/compose.

Thanks for any help or suggestions that you may have.

Al
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

You will also need a MIDI sequencer to use the MIDI port. Anvil Studio is a shareware (freeware?) title that will present the basics of a MIDI sequencer. http://www.anvilstudio.com/
  3. al_rulz

al_rulz New Member

can the Em-15 use anvil studio? Roland!
  4. neotan

neotan New Member

you must connect midi out cable to midi in and the midi in into out..
  5. Zandro

Zandro New Member

He has already connected the keyboard to the computer, neotan. Read the thread before you make a fool out of yourself with such a uninformative reply.
  6. rpalmer83

rpalmer83 New Member

I didn't think you needed any extra software, simply plug the cables in then go into sound settings or the midi mapper control panel and select the MIDI device as 'External MIDI Port' or 'MPU-401' then anything you play on your PC should play out of the keyboard and in your sequenciing software if you select tt e same for MIDI input device you shoud be able to compose using the keyboard.
  7. Senior Genii

Senior Genii New Member

Thanks for all the tips, I'm checking out the shareware right now. In the meantime:
    RPalmer you mention the sound settings/midi mapper control panel. Will I find this on the Roland or on the PC?
    I'm actually Al's computer support and I feel I'm not supporting him very well on this as I know zilch about midi or Rolands. And if I'm supposed to find it on the pc, I'm wondering if something is missing from the sound card driver... Oh the joys of an inherited computer!

Al/Catharine