conversions

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by zercowsky, Jun 21, 2002.

1. zercowsky

zercowsky New Member

Is there a way to change midi to wave (and vice versa)
  2. magicamente

magicamente New Member

I have the same problem. is live recording the only way?
  3. cnsmith

cnsmith New Member

as far as i can figure the only way is live if it is from an internal sndcard u can use the stereo mix recording volume to capture it
  4. dvdlei

dvdlei New Member

midi to wave :
    you can capture the output of your soundcard.. or just record and select 'what you hear' in your record channel options.

wave to midi:
    not possible if using with polyfonic music.
  5. advancedflea

advancedflea Nude bodyprint maker

you can convert midi to .wav and .mp3 using various tools (or live recording) but there is no way to convert .wav/.mp3/.wma to midi. it is just to "complicated" for the computer
  6. mriev

mriev New Member

There are several pretty good midi to wave converters out there, including a few free ones, just do a web search for "midi to wave". The wave to midi converters I've seen tend to produce less than desirable results on polyphonic music.
  7. advancedflea

forget doing a serch of the eintre web, just do a serch on www.download.com. it comes back with about 1000 results and you can see weather they are free, what limmitations they have (if any) before you download
  8. D200

D200 New Member

Ive said this before and i'll say it again :rolleyes:

MIDI to WAV is not possible (or if it is its very complex with very random results).

WAV is a form of digital audio file. MIDI is a protocol that sends data to pieces of equipment allowing them to "talk" to each other. A MIDI file is a collection of instructions, at the most basic level note on and note off, telling your soundcard/keyboard/softsynth/sampler/etc etc to trigger a note at a certain time (measured in bars beats and ticks) and release it. There is no audio data contained in MIDI, therefore you would be converting your WAV to nothing.

An interesting way to think about it is imagine trying to convert a bitmap image of a scanned letter into a Microsoft Word document to edit the text. Impossible in other words

Hope that helps?
  9. advancedflea

D200. much as I don't like to contradict ppl, basically because it caueses trouble but Midi to Wav is possible, its wav to midi that isn't possible. but otherwise you are right, if you go wav to midi the results are random much less annoying when you have spent all that time trying and got nowhere
  10. D200

D200 New Member

Oooops thats my mistake.

I meant to type the other way round - ie: WAV to MIDI is not possible.

Sorry :hit:

Of course MIDI to WAV Is possible, otherwise we wouldnt have pop music! ;)
  11. advancedflea

I thought It was just asimple Type-o. I generally trust that people aren't dumb enough not to be able to use sound recorder. :) and yes, u r quite right. without midi, there would be no pop music
  12. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

d200, I almost went back to the drawing board. thank goodness for typos, my career almost ended in one statement
  13. advancedflea

Your career?
  14. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

well, it was hobby, until i started making money out of music & midis
  15. advancedflea

ah! righit! I getcha. I'm going into a career with music technology, u know, mixing, making midis, settinmg up recording studios. etc. there is alot of call for that over here.
  16. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

advancedflea, maybe we should swap ideas. I've just released a country album(bit different considering i was in a heavy metal band) I'm solo naw, program midis, produced the album myself, wrote the songs with another soloist. Set my house up as a studio, used midi to start with, but the drums and pedal steel were the only midi instruments in the end. went through 'humanizing' the drums and used an external drum module. Came up with a pretty good cd, mastered it myself by going to forums like this and finding out what to do.

here's my midi page if you want to check it out, click the 'gympie gold' button to go to the album page. by the way, where's wolverhampton?

home.austarnet.com.au/madcatz/
  17. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

sorry, that's my home page, click on mifiles for midi's, gympie gold for album
  18. advancedflea

yeah, sure, perhaps it would b a good idea for us to swapp ideas. erm...you can either PM me on midibuddy. Or you can I.M me on AOL (My aol handle is advancedflea) or ICQ (ICQ# 165045738) and I can give u my windows/msn messenger address (if you want it) privately. but we can chat on any of the above.

I dont have a homepage for my music, only for photos of me and my friends goofing on various school trips ( http://rulestheweb.com/thepictures )
  19. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

Hi Merlin,
    I am a bit south of you (by about an hour)

Bit of a crossover...Hm to country???
    Was it always an interest..or just happened that way.
    pulled down one of the demo tracks off your album... what hardware and software did you do it with? Sounds Quite good :D

Dave
  20. advancedflea

Yeahb, I gotta agree with dave. it sounds good.