convert mp3 to midi???

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by senna, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

trancetech! u have it sussed :thumbsup:
  2. mooreweststud34

mooreweststud34 New Member

It is not possible to convert .mp3 to midi. Midi relies on the 128 GM sounds of a keyboard or sequencer, and basically had to do with the keystrokes, and .mp3 doesnt... .mp3 is amusic file that can play voices and real drums and tuff, where all a midi file can do is play one of the 128 instruments of the GM back of a keyboard.
  3. Trancetech.com

Trancetech.com New Member

Is this the end....

Yes moore, that is true also. But General MIDI is not the end of the story. It only refers to 128 standard sounds. There are also many ways you can treat these sounds (e.g. reverb, chorus, pitch filtering etc.) and each sound system has different capabilities and different ways of doing these things. Also, many people want to use their own special sounds so 128 ‘presets’ can be very limiting.
    Enter GS/XG. Roland tried to extend the GM capabilities with a more advanced MIDI standard called GS, and Yamaha have tried to go farther with XG. Both of these allow you to define “patch banks” (amongst other things like extended sets of controllers for varying the effects applied to the sounds). In both systems each patch (of which there are 128 in GM) can have 128 variations. Creative Labs have also created their own SoundFont standard, where you can load up your own custom sounds (just like you can choose the fonts in a document). Just a little extra info. ;)
  4. dhoult

dhoult New Member

Why is this even being discussed? We are years away from even getting close to being able to convert any type of audio file to midi. At the moment, recognizing different instruments and voices is best left to the human brain - having a programmer try to make a computer do it is futile.
  5. joevoosgo

joevoosgo New Member

O.K. guys, enough is enough, my problem is converting midi to mp3 music. Is this possible if so...what can I use? Ihave thousands of midi but no converter...I've seen midi in mp3 format but not enough of them.
  6. Deathawaitsyou

Deathawaitsyou New Member

I think both MIDIs and MP3s have both their great traits to them. with MIDI you can put them in your Xprofile and with MP3 you can download and listen to them. But thatz just my opinion.
  7. seph78

seph78 New Member

asda

you should search for a converter i think it is possible
  8. billy hunt

billy hunt New Member

9. InfamousBlade

InfamousBlade New Member

i think theres one in the cakewalk site
  10. yuks

yuks New Member

errmm... ppl... wat about midi convert to mp3?
    issit possible?
  11. residue

residue New Member

why would you want to?
  12. disturbdangel25

disturbdangel25 New Member

that would be cool if there was a good program to do that tho.
  13. thedestroyer

thedestroyer New Member

I've experienced with one wav to MIDI convertor......none of them actually do a accurate job....it all sounds sloppy and you can harldy understand what the song is........theyre just time-wasting "inventions" but the one I would recommend if you do really want to make MIDI's that way.............there's a program called WIDI.. go to download.cnet.com and type in WIDI youll find it
  14. jsaad1986

jsaad1986 New Member

i suggest to make your own midi of the song or just request it on this board..... mp3 to midi programs don't work that well.....
  15. Alpha One

Alpha One New Member

Coming Soon

there will be an MP4 to MIDI converter coming out when MP4 is released - some time in 2005-6 or there abouts!
  16. thelfards

thelfards New Member

there are lots of programs which converts mp3 to midi..you can buy some in the net..maybe someone here can give out for free..i'd want one to..hehehe
  17. MIDI-Guy

MIDI-Guy New Member

Converting MP3 (or WAV) to MIDI File is not possible. It's like taking a cake and reverting it back to flour, eggs and milk.