Convert MP3's to Midi?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by molah25, May 4, 2003.

1. Graeme

Graeme New Member

dBpoweramp knows absolutely naff all about midi. You'd have a hard time tring to convert any type of audio to midi with dBpoweramp!
  2. themidigooru

themidigooru New Member

i want you to tell the science behind converting audio to midi
  3. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

4. ZelRiptha

As for the science, think of taking scrambled eggs (to borrow Graeme's analogy) and being asked to put them back the way they were before. Possible in theory (or fantasy), but not practical.

If you don't buy that, remember that sound is nothing more than compressions in the air that impinge on your eardrum. Audio files consist of digitized samples of sound amplitude data recorded by an analog to digital converter with the dynamic range determined by the sample bit depth and the temporal resolution (which affects sound quality in general) determined by the sample rate. Taken in this context, a bit of music from Madonna's Like A Virgin is nothing more than a digitized waveform approximating the sound of the band and gal's original rendition. The fact that there's a guitar, a bass, a saxophone, etc. has been lost to posterity in terms of the data alone. All we know is that at t0+455ms, the amplitude of the waveform was +25dB. The fact that at that moment Madonna is hiccuping, the Bass is on low D, and the guitar is strumming BM, and a cymbal was just struck all add up to that one bit of information t0+445ms:+25dB. It takes hugely sophisticated processing of the audio data simply to deduce that a frequency is present which might indicate that someone is playing a low D, let alone figuring out all the rest. Figuring out chords through harmonic structure, determining instrumentation based on overtone structure, all this must be done by the conversion mechanism in order to be profitable. We're talking serious acoustic physics to even come to the drawing board. What's somewhat miraculous is that the software comes as close as it does (which is not close at all). There may continue to be improvements, but this science seems to me to be akin to designing a perpetual motion machine. ;)
  5. ZelRiptha

6. ZelRiptha

All that being said, a single instrument audio file can, on a good day, if the stars are aligned properly, be "converted" with some fidelity to the original recording. Thus, the demos that the producers of the software tout as proving the concept. Which you'll notice, are not very complicated and only do a fair job of rendering that even an unsophisticated musical ear might find fault with. Enough for now. :)
  7. themidigooru

themidigooru New Member

Ok, yes i know this much. if you have the right interface you can send any insturment to become midi. no, you cannot have efx like dist pedals that are used on real instruments recorded. but what about vocals. for midi it pickup a sound, figures out the note and plays that instead. it cannot speak, right.
  8. ZelRiptha

That's right. It will attempt to approximate the sound of the "notes" the vocals are singing, including perhaps the bends in pitch. It will not understand the syllabification, though it might try to reproduce some of the effects of the consonants as pitch bends. Of course, all this provided the vocal in question is a solo. :)
  9. vinsanity

vinsanity $¢®ëWëзµÞ

10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I want to sticky it as a separate topic. Would that be alright with you?
  11. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

If short no, :) but I think you should have a look over at this thread: .wav or .mp3 to MIDI