Converting MIDIs into a format for a CD

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by Cactuar, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Cactuar

Cactuar New Member

I have a few questions to ask, I have a whole lot of MIDIs from Final Fantasy games and other popular RPGs. But I can't put any onto an audio CD, is there a converter or way that will allow me to put MIDIs on a CD and listen to them in a CD player? I would also like to know if there are any free programs out there for me to use to mix and/or create MIDIs?

If you know the answers or know of any programs/files that will help me please send me a link to help me out.

Thanks
  2. UL007

UL007 New Member

Try TIMIDITY (you'll find link to download via search engine easily); IMHO the best MIDI -> WAV converter software.
  3. Cactuar

Cactuar New Member

Thanks, I'll try it out and get back to you.
  4. Cactuar

Cactuar New Member

I downloaded the program and it doesn't seem to work right. Right now I'm downloading the patches for it, but when I open the GUI the program doesn't play the MIDI, it shows the time and everything but no music. I don't know if it's because I don't have the patches but I'll see what happens when the patches are done.
  5. golden Phoenix

golden Phoenix New Member

Easy way: Use Winamp to play the midi and choose the "Write to Disk" Plugin to save this as a wav-file to your harddisk.

I think that works...

(You can :hit: me if not... ;) )
  6. Cactuar

Cactuar New Member

I don't seem to have that plug-in, or maybe it has a different name, If you can, tell me where to get it.
    Thanks
  7. golden Phoenix

hm.... I cannot find it in the new Winamp-Version 3
    But I don't use this new Version. They have made too much different and it is too slow and not as handy as the old one ;)

Try to use Winamp 2.81, you can find this Version on their homepage, too :)

Then you select "Options" - "Preferences" - "Plugins" - "output" - "Nullsoft disk writer plug-in v2.0c (x86) (out_disk.dll)"

Load your midi-file and press "x" or the Play-Button. Don't forget to deactivate the "repeat" function ;) When it is finished select the old Output-Plugin so that you don't write every song onto HD when you want to hear it *g*

That it is... :bye:
  8. Cactuar

Cactuar New Member

Thanks again, I'll try that. Yeah I also have 3.O and I hate it. It's REALLY slow.
  9. Cactuar

Cactuar New Member

I've tried it, and it doesn't work:( I also have a converter that will convert many things but it won't work for MIDIs because MIDIs can't stream audio data and cannot be converted. That includes many types of music files.
  10. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

There are some decent programs avalable for that:
    Wingroove http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~hiroki/english/

MIDInight Express http://www.polyhedric.com/software/mn/index.html

Midi2Wav Recorder http://www.midi2wav.com/

Audio Compositor http://home.att.net/~audiocompositor/

Cubic Player http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/4107/e_index.html

If you can't seem to get it done using anything else, you can always record it real-time through your soundcard.
    Use any program able to make a wav recording from an input source...
    Cool Edit, Goldwave, WavLab, Soundforge, etc, etc)
    Set the input source to your MIDI device, select record in your recorder program and play the midi.

Good luck
  11. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

i recommend WINGROOVE guys! :thumbsup:
  12. Cactuar

Cactuar New Member

Thanks,
    I've tried them all but they only allow me to record a set amount of a MIDI. I got Timidity to work but I'm not quite sure how to convert the MIDI to WAV. But I haven't tried using my soundcard yet but I think I'll try that now.
  13. rkwjao

rkwjao New Member

You can use Winamp to convert the midi files to WAVE files and then burn them to audio CD. Easy as that. Make sure to use the Discwriter audio output plugin to write to disk.
  14. golden Phoenix

I think I descriped the way it goes with winamp..??

Please, no spam-posts 'cause "5 Post to Download"... :hit:
  15. Cactuar

Cactuar New Member

Sorry rkwjao, but golden Phoenix pointed that out to me awhile ago, and if you didn't read any of the above posts, then I suggest you do because that did not work for me. Unless there is another way to get the coverter to work or you have actually done it.
  16. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

You can use Cakewalk or Cubase to record the midifile as a wave. Just play the miditracks and record on an audiotrack. You'll need a soundcard with full duplex capability, but hey, they all have nowadays.

If you don't have a program that is capable of doing this, just use Windows mediaplayer to play the midifile and use another program (like creative recorder if you have a soundblaster soundcard) to record the midifile as audio data. Once you have all midifiles converted to wave this way, you can write them to disk with any disc writing utility you might prefer (easy CD creator, nero....).

Kind regards
    Alain
    www.mididesign.be
  17. Cain2060

Cain2060 New Member

I know a way to convert Midi's to Wav/Mp3 (or whatever codec\file U want to use) but it takes a bit of time.
    1. download Comtasia (Kazaa or any other file share program)
    2. Download Vertual Dub (www.Vertialdub.com)
    3. Download any king of Midi player (winamp, midia player)
    4. Download a Mp3 codec (just go to google and type Mp3 codec any codec will do)
    5. Install all the software listed above ^
    5. Open up Camtasia and your Midi Player.
    6. In the Option properties of Camtasia Select Audio - Then select codec. Go through the list and find the codec you downloaded and installed.
    7. Assign a hot key for record.
    8.Play your mIdi and quickly press the hot key for record (it will ask you a region to select on your screen so just clock any part of your screen).
    9. Once the Midi is ended press stop on Camtasia. It will know ask you a place to save the file. Save it and ill will play back the file.
    10.Repeat the prosedure to all your files. Once you have all the files recorded you have to use vertual dub.
    11. Open Vertual Dub. then open one of your files recorded.
    12. Once you have opened the file go to "save Wav"
    13. type in a name and then select a place to save your Wav.
    14. You can then use any burning software to burn it

(I made this methode my self so iff you ned help E-mail Cain2060@hotmail.com)
  18. Fatmanscoop

Fatmanscoop New Member

DBPower AMP, it converts everything
  19. satcom

satcom New Member

you should be able to record them whilsty they play on your midi device straight to your HDD via the line in on your souncard.
  20. oceanlake

oceanlake New Member

I think wingroov works pretty well at converting midi to wav... then you would simply use a burning program like nero to burn to cd...