Converting .mp3 or .wav files to MIDI format

Discussion in 'Getting Started/New Member Help' started by ajax, Nov 6, 2003.

1. ajax

ajax New Member

Hi everyone,

I must confess - I'm rather new at this. I looked on the FAQ and couldn't find an answer.

Is it possible to convert .MP3 or .WAV files to MIDI format? I've tried searching for different software programs which do this and I've not had much luck.

Thanks for your help!

AJ
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

3. mrcmax

mrcmax New Member

thanks that helps..... a lot
  4. Droakir

Droakir New Member

Cool. I'll try that, too.
  5. hyelife

hyelife New Member

I dont think there is a way to convert mp3 or wave files to midi yet. And if you do youll never get a good quality.
  6. phantim

phantim New Member

Actually the FAQ only covers WAV to MIDI. You will, of course, need to convert your MP3 to WAV (easily done) THEN you can use the WAV to MIDI converter.
  7. trick

trick New Member

both the options in the FAQ are PC-only and cost money...

:(
  8. frchung

frchung New Member

Well the FAQ does mentionned a little bit that there's such software to convert WAV to MIDI. Though I've never tried that software myself, i believe it just analyzes the frequency (or pitch) of the sound, and also the duration, then translate that into musical notes, like what you see on music scores, which in fact what are the data in MIDI file information, mainly about.

Having a single instrument playing that sound would be easy to analyze, but if your sound is from a full band or orchestra and with vocals, I doubt that this software (or any software currently available) would able to distinguish the individual instruments and separate the musical notes to different channels on the MIDI file. It would need a very, very complex and advanced sound and instrument recognition algorithm to distinguish each instrument....(correct me if I'm wrong here)....

But the day that this software would be available, then people who creates those professional MIDI files would be very happy....i hope!!..hehehee....So for now, hang on buddy, we still have to use our own musical skills to convert most WAV or MP3 to MIDI manually!!!!
  9. Multitim

Multitim New Member

Take a look at www.intelliscore.net. This tool converts mp3 and wav to midi. But it sounds bad.

Another Tool: AmazingMIDI (only wav to midi)

*Zandro fixes the link*
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2003
  10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Well said, frchung! The world needs more people like you.
  11. frchung

frchung New Member

Thanks! Glad to have made my first posting as a newbie here, and to contribute with you guys whatever I can.
  12. wick3dguy

wick3dguy New Member

Yea the i tried the software and it just doesnt work if u want to convert some mp3 or wav song into midi.....i wonder if its impossible
  13. makeitclap

makeitclap New Member

i dont like the output quality, might as well use cakewalk and make your own
  14. elippsis

elippsis New Member

I never even knew that could be done...
  15. Fist

Fist New Member

If i convert mp3 to midi, can i send this to my mobile phone?
  16. llhyperdude

llhyperdude New Member

If you want to make a GOOD midi you have to sequence it manually. There aren't any good programs out there that will do it for you. When the day comes when there is a good program, all the noobies will proclaim that they made a midi, when in fact the program made the midi for them. Ahhh, I can see it now.
  17. Jagerman

Jagerman New Member

Wav or Mp3 to Midi

There is a program out there that is supposed to convert wav to midi and it's farily expensive. I tried the free demo and it really doesn't work. It worked okay on their tutorial but that was with a peice of music that had only a one note at a time melody. When trying to put a song with several instruments it can't tell which is which and you just get a jumbled mess of sound. I can't see how it could ever be done. It sure would be the greatest thing for me though. I use midi everyday in my job and doing them myself is a very painstaking process. I hve gotten some off the net that I can use but I do the majority of them myself. I've been making midi files since the mid 80's. I'm sorry I didn't have the answer you and many others are looking for. Take care....Ken