Cubase vs Sonar vs Logic

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by saamoa2000, May 17, 2004.

1. saamoa2000

saamoa2000 New Member

I use an MP3 4000. I want to get into computer based sequencing. I would like to record audio too which I will transfer to my Ensoniq Paris recording system. Which one should I buy???
    I can can either go PC or Mac.
  2. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I think a lot of people go PC based with something like Cubase, Reason, Fruity Loops etc as they is a lot of software out there for the serious musician. SB Audigy is good for recording onto hard drive and into Cubase but have not used any other software with that.
  3. ibookster

ibookster New Member

depends

I all depends on your budget and ambitions. Logic Audio Pro alone will run 999 dollars alone..and then a high end mac on top. Whats your budget?
  4. saamoa2000

saamoa2000 New Member

I'm not worrying about the budget but rather what I can do. I will be doing pop and rap stuff. Down the line I want something that can help me score movies too. I dont want to jump from the MPC 4k (which I use now) to something else when the time comes. MPC's wont be any good scoring movies. I understand that Pro Logic is the best for movie scoring?
    I also understand that Sonar/Cubase is the best for dealing with loops? I was going to get Recycle to help me with that. Any thoughts?
  5. shorts

shorts Member

have you used any of these programs before..... maybe you should focus on your level of experience and which one you feel comfortable using.... Most have the same features, just how to use them is the trick, so if you are more comfortable with one particular program,,, stick to it..
  6. kent101

kent101 New Member

cubase/nuendo is the best imo
  7. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

I agree with it depends what you've learnt on.

I'd go Logic Pro and a mac (you can get student discounts on Logic, if u know someone whos a student or u are urself)
  8. cmaff05

cmaff05 New Member

If you can afford it, I'd go with Logic. It's expensive as hell though, along with an amped up MAC that you'll need.
  9. MarkB

MarkB New Member

Id also agree on to make your choice what you know and have experience on, but IMO Sonar would be my choice!
  10. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

I prefer Sonar, but that's what I'm used to.

Cubase is fine, but I've had a harder time learning it.

I also understand that Logic isn't being updated anymore. :(
  11. imagi

imagi New Member

i'm a sonar user as well.. but lately has been falling in love with flstudio :wiggle:
  12. tensai

tensai New Member

you'll get a really split response with respect to this.. logic is best for mac, and only for mac.. cubase is powerful for the pc but most mac users prefer logic.

in the past macs were known to be more powerful than pcs.. these days, its not the case. amd opteron processors are more powerful than ibm's g5 on applications that mac was considered king at.

so what it comes down to is your budget and which platform/interface you're more comfortable with. personally, i prefer pc.

sonar isn't fully compatible with vst.. it's support is done using an adapter that translates vst to directx.. and that adapter sucks. so if you want to use vst/vsti then you'll want to shell out a bit more dough for directixer, better implementation.
    cubase's dongle could get annoying.. and their tech support is the worst out there. but i love their interface.
  13. Dhamma

Dhamma New Member

mac = logic
    pc = cubase

i use cubase myself.....
  14. bazzwhiz

bazzwhiz New Member

With the amount of VST instruments now out there, I would be going for cubase with it's native support... less hassles.
  15. algallego

algallego New Member

You can also get a student educational discount on a MAC.
  16. algallego

algallego New Member

That's only semi-true... Logic is not being updated anymore for the PC because APPLE bought eMagic and now runs LOGIC strictly on MACs.