Danny Carey drum clinic

Discussion in 'rec.music.percussion' started by Lost In Ohio, Aug 23, 2003.

  1. On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:53:05 +0000, John P. wrote:

    > "-MIKE-" <mike@mikedrumsDOT.com> wrote in a message
    >
    >> The fact that he's charging 20-40 bucks for something that those
    >> *way* ahead of him are doing for free gives me one more reason to
    >> *not* care what he has to offer.

    >
    > He's giving one clinic at $14... which makes me suspect that it is not he
    > that decided the NY clinic should be $40 (or, more accurately, $20). The NY
    > clinic also include Carl Palmer. Why has no one decided it is CP that is
    > causing the higher fee?
    >
    > It's at Sam Ash, right? Maybe Same Ash is charging the fee in an attempt to
    > keep from having 500 disappointed people not allowed in because of space
    > restrictions.
    >
    > The bottom line is, I (or you) have no idea why the fee is $20/$40. As with
    > anything else, it is not an unreasonable price *if* that's something you're
    > interested in.


    They don't refer to that chain as Scam Cash for nothing!
    --

    peace,

    Rog

    http://www.slammingrooves.com

    "ooh big comeback from the non fan AKA little drummer boy"

    theRob in alt.sports.hockey.nhl.nj-devils
  2. PeriscopeR <periscoper@aol.com> wrote:
    > Let's see, for FREE I have seen clinics by
    > Billy Cobham
    > Terry Bozzio
    > Chad Wackerman
    > Simon Phillips
    > Kenny Aronoff


    As have I. And add to that list
    Jack Dejohnette
    Carmine Aspice
    (Whatever that guy's name is who drums for Elton John)
    Akiro Jimbo
    Trilok Gurtu
    Mike Portnoy
    Hell, I even saw Bob Gatzen do a clinic!
    (A drummer who can think as well as play!!! :)

    All for FREE.

    And let me add that NONE of these who guys gave these
    clinics was worth only what I paid! How great
    to hear these guys supported by manufacturers. Dejohnette!
    What can I say? Bozzio is SUCH an amazing MUSICIAN
    as well as drummer! I could go down the list!

    I did pay $20 or maybe $25 to see Clyde and Jabo.
    WELL worth the cash!!!

    And I also paid the same to see Pistol Allen
    and Uriel Jones. And now that Pistol is gone
    I'm SO glad I did.

    And yeah, I forked some cash to see Evelyn Glennie solo
    with the Columbus Symphony. No question THAT was
    money well spent!

    $20 for DrumDaze doesn't even count because you have
    to divide that by 5-6 cats. Which is so close to
    free as to not really matter.

    There are some amazing drummers out there who have
    truly earned the right to charge $20-$40 for a clinic,
    but to put it in perspective one also has to realize
    that for $20-$35 you can get a ticket in the balcony
    to a full stage show around here! I think it cost me
    $15 for a decent seat for the National Ballet of
    Senegal. Talk about a drum clinic!!!

    Benj
    --
    SPAM-Guard! Remove .users (if present) to email me!
  3. because he tends to go farther with it as if he is on a higher step. not
    unlike schuh but not with the word power of schuh.
    "Harry Hulsizer" <goHarry@webtv.net> wrote in message
    news:12697-3F48E091-89@storefull-2114.public.lawson.webtv.net...
    randysdrums@cox.net (Randal Walker) wrote:
    >At times you come off real opinionated for
    >someone with a very tine resume.


    You just described half the people that post here but serously, why
    would anyone need a resume at all to have an opinion?

    Harry
  4. Clinicians usually get a set fee plus expenses. It usually ranges anywhere
    from $300 to $1500, mostly in the $500 to $1000 range. If the host store is
    a big client with a big crowd then the manufacturer(s) will sometimes pay
    all or part of the fee. It is usually the store who sets the price of the
    clinic. Most just try to offset the expense of production and promotion.
    Most do not try to make a profit on the clinic but are betting on increased
    sales.

    --
    George Lawrence
    George's Drum Shop
    1351 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road #21
    Copley, Ohio 44321
    http://www.GeorgesDrumShop.com
    http://www.Drumguru.com
    330 670 0800
    toll free 866 970 0800

    "If thine enemy wrong thee,
    buy each of his children a drum."
    -Chinese proverb




    "Randal Walker" <randysdrums@cox.net> wrote in message
    news:BF32b.5111$n94.3541@fed1read04...
    > Who says that HE is charging and not the store or promoter? If others do a
    > clinic for free it's because the drum company/cymbal company kicked in the
    > salary.
    > Carey is a talented drummer, I would like to see You doing what he does
    > Mike.
    > At times you come off real opinionated for someone with a very tine

    resume.
    > "-MIKE-" <mike@mikedrumsDOT.com> wrote in message
    > news:iwadncg3aLbCxdWiXTWJhQ@comcast.com...
    > > > Probably my lack of exposure, but that doesn't change the fact that

    > Danny
    > > > Carey has a lot more to offer than most above-average drummers.
    > > >
    > > > Ben

    > >
    > >
    > > Says who? What else does he have to offer?
    > >
    > > The fact that he's charging 20-40 bucks for something that those
    > > *way* ahead of him are doing for free gives me one more reason to
    > > *not* care what he has to offer.
    > >
    > >
    > > -MIKE-
    > >
    > > --
    > > http://mikedrums.com
    > > mike@mikedrumsDOT.com
    > > ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
    > >

    >
    >
  5. Bigger names like Virgil are getting over 1000.00 per clinic.
    "George Lawrence" <drumguru@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    news:a7b2b.15146$Ih1.4770481@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com...
    > Clinicians usually get a set fee plus expenses. It usually ranges anywhere
    > from $300 to $1500, mostly in the $500 to $1000 range. If the host store

    is
    > a big client with a big crowd then the manufacturer(s) will sometimes pay
    > all or part of the fee. It is usually the store who sets the price of the
    > clinic. Most just try to offset the expense of production and promotion.
    > Most do not try to make a profit on the clinic but are betting on

    increased
    > sales.
    >
    > --
    > George Lawrence
    > George's Drum Shop
    > 1351 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road #21
    > Copley, Ohio 44321
    > http://www.GeorgesDrumShop.com
    > http://www.Drumguru.com
    > 330 670 0800
    > toll free 866 970 0800
    >
    > "If thine enemy wrong thee,
    > buy each of his children a drum."
    > -Chinese proverb
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Randal Walker" <randysdrums@cox.net> wrote in message
    > news:BF32b.5111$n94.3541@fed1read04...
    > > Who says that HE is charging and not the store or promoter? If others do

    a
    > > clinic for free it's because the drum company/cymbal company kicked in

    the
    > > salary.
    > > Carey is a talented drummer, I would like to see You doing what he does
    > > Mike.
    > > At times you come off real opinionated for someone with a very tine

    > resume.
    > > "-MIKE-" <mike@mikedrumsDOT.com> wrote in message
    > > news:iwadncg3aLbCxdWiXTWJhQ@comcast.com...
    > > > > Probably my lack of exposure, but that doesn't change the fact that

    > > Danny
    > > > > Carey has a lot more to offer than most above-average drummers.
    > > > >
    > > > > Ben
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Says who? What else does he have to offer?
    > > >
    > > > The fact that he's charging 20-40 bucks for something that those
    > > > *way* ahead of him are doing for free gives me one more reason to
    > > > *not* care what he has to offer.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > -MIKE-
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > http://mikedrums.com
    > > > mike@mikedrumsDOT.com
    > > > ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
    > > >

    > >
    > >

    >
    >
  6. -MIKE-

    -MIKE- Guest

    > "-MIKE-" <mike@mikedrumsDOT.com> wrote in a message
    >
    >> The fact that he's charging 20-40 bucks for something that those
    >> *way* ahead of him are doing for free gives me one more reason to
    >> *not* care what he has to offer.

    >
    > He's giving one clinic at $14... which makes me suspect that it is not he
    > that decided the NY clinic should be $40 (or, more accurately, $20). The
    > NY clinic also include Carl Palmer. Why has no one decided it is CP that
    > is causing the higher fee?


    > It's at Sam Ash, right? Maybe Same Ash is charging the fee in an attempt
    > to keep from having 500 disappointed people not allowed in because of
    > space restrictions.


    > The bottom line is, I (or you) have no idea why the fee is $20/$40. As
    > with anything else, it is not an unreasonable price *if* that's something
    > you're interested in.
    >
    >


    You're right, we don't know all the details. And I didn't know
    Palmer was involved. I suspect there are other there, too. That
    would make it no different from the Drum Daze event.


    -MIKE-

    --
    http://mikedrums.com
    mike@mikedrumsDOT.com
    ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
  7. -MIKE-

    -MIKE- Guest

    > Who says that HE is charging and not the store or promoter? If others do a
    > clinic for free it's because the drum company/cymbal company kicked in the
    > salary.


    This is correct, Randy. We don't know. However, he would have the
    choice of turning down a clinic that was charging way too much.
    It's all hypothetical. If he's just one guy involved in an event
    with several different drummers, that's a completely different
    story. The original post made it seem like it was a Danny Carey
    clinic, not an event with several drummers. If it's an event, the
    whole discussion is null.


    > Carey is a talented drummer, I would like to see You doing what he does
    > Mike.
    >


    Weak argument, Randy. If I were the best drummer in the world, I
    couldn't see myself charging as much for a solo clinic as is charged
    for events with many excellent drummers. That's my only beef. If
    that is not the case, then there is no room for criticism on my
    part.


    > At times you come off real opinionated for someone with a very tine
    > resume.


    Oh, cheap shot. Real mature debating tactics, Randy.

    Let me try. At times you come across as real pissy when it comes to
    what you infer as a personal insult against someone you like. I'm
    still trying to figure out why you took it as an insult to your
    friends in Styx, when I criticized the Regis & Kelly producers for
    not letting acts play more than 2 minutes.

    Things come across in text much more harsh than they would in the
    spoken word.


    -MIKE-

    --
    http://mikedrums.com
    mike@mikedrumsDOT.com
    ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
  8. -MIKE-

    -MIKE- Guest

    >>At times you come off real opinionated for
    >>someone with a very tine resume.

    >
    > You just described half the people that post here but serously, why
    > would anyone need a resume at all to have an opinion?
    >
    > Harry
    >


    They don't, Harry. It was a cheap shot.


    -MIKE-

    --
    http://mikedrums.com
    mike@mikedrumsDOT.com
    ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
  9. I guess the reason I came off pissy with that is due in part to you have
    never played on that show and yet you had such an insight to the goings on
    at that gig. Those are the things that get me most.
    "-MIKE-" <mike@mikedrumsDOT.com> wrote in message
    news:CdGdnWx36NWWydSiXTWJgA@comcast.com...
    > > Who says that HE is charging and not the store or promoter? If others do

    a
    > > clinic for free it's because the drum company/cymbal company kicked in

    the
    > > salary.

    >
    > This is correct, Randy. We don't know. However, he would have the
    > choice of turning down a clinic that was charging way too much.
    > It's all hypothetical. If he's just one guy involved in an event
    > with several different drummers, that's a completely different
    > story. The original post made it seem like it was a Danny Carey
    > clinic, not an event with several drummers. If it's an event, the
    > whole discussion is null.
    >
    >
    > > Carey is a talented drummer, I would like to see You doing what he does
    > > Mike.
    > >

    >
    > Weak argument, Randy. If I were the best drummer in the world, I
    > couldn't see myself charging as much for a solo clinic as is charged
    > for events with many excellent drummers. That's my only beef. If
    > that is not the case, then there is no room for criticism on my
    > part.
    >
    >
    > > At times you come off real opinionated for someone with a very tine
    > > resume.

    >
    > Oh, cheap shot. Real mature debating tactics, Randy.
    >
    > Let me try. At times you come across as real pissy when it comes to
    > what you infer as a personal insult against someone you like. I'm
    > still trying to figure out why you took it as an insult to your
    > friends in Styx, when I criticized the Regis & Kelly producers for
    > not letting acts play more than 2 minutes.
    >
    > Things come across in text much more harsh than they would in the
    > spoken word.
    >
    >
    > -MIKE-
    >
    > --
    > http://mikedrums.com
    > mike@mikedrumsDOT.com
    > ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
  10. I don't go out of my way to make cheap shots unlike others or other on this
    group, but it gets old with the I know more than you attitude. Until you
    have actually seen a contract or schedule for a clinic or done a TV gig
    where you infact get only 2 minutes, then it should be left more as a
    reference.
    That's all I am saying.
    The band got way more then 2 minutes on the show, they got the whole show
    doing bumpers and a full performance, that would be way out of the 2 minute
    context that you represented. Not trying to pick fights all though I am sure
    one person in here is going to try and turn this way around with a smart
    comment and I am not going to say whom I think that is.
    "-MIKE-" <mike@mikedrumsDOT.com> wrote in message
    news:CdGdnWx36NWWydSiXTWJgA@comcast.com...
    > > Who says that HE is charging and not the store or promoter? If others do

    a
    > > clinic for free it's because the drum company/cymbal company kicked in

    the
    > > salary.

    >
    > This is correct, Randy. We don't know. However, he would have the
    > choice of turning down a clinic that was charging way too much.
    > It's all hypothetical. If he's just one guy involved in an event
    > with several different drummers, that's a completely different
    > story. The original post made it seem like it was a Danny Carey
    > clinic, not an event with several drummers. If it's an event, the
    > whole discussion is null.
    >
    >
    > > Carey is a talented drummer, I would like to see You doing what he does
    > > Mike.
    > >

    >
    > Weak argument, Randy. If I were the best drummer in the world, I
    > couldn't see myself charging as much for a solo clinic as is charged
    > for events with many excellent drummers. That's my only beef. If
    > that is not the case, then there is no room for criticism on my
    > part.
    >
    >
    > > At times you come off real opinionated for someone with a very tine
    > > resume.

    >
    > Oh, cheap shot. Real mature debating tactics, Randy.
    >
    > Let me try. At times you come across as real pissy when it comes to
    > what you infer as a personal insult against someone you like. I'm
    > still trying to figure out why you took it as an insult to your
    > friends in Styx, when I criticized the Regis & Kelly producers for
    > not letting acts play more than 2 minutes.
    >
    > Things come across in text much more harsh than they would in the
    > spoken word.
    >
    >
    > -MIKE-
    >
    > --
    > http://mikedrums.com
    > mike@mikedrumsDOT.com
    > ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
  11. On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:37:58 +0000, George Lawrence wrote:

    > Clinicians usually get a set fee plus expenses. It usually ranges anywhere
    > from $300 to $1500, mostly in the $500 to $1000 range. If the host store is
    > a big client with a big crowd then the manufacturer(s) will sometimes pay
    > all or part of the fee. It is usually the store who sets the price of the
    > clinic. Most just try to offset the expense of production and promotion.
    > Most do not try to make a profit on the clinic but are betting on increased
    > sales.
    >


    There is a local drum shop here in Jersey...every couple years, they put
    on a Terry Bozzio clinic. They charge $20 for it (which I gladly pay, and
    feel is worth every penny), the last couple times they've done it, they
    completely sold out of tix, and the owner has told me he takes a bath
    financially, even with the sponsorship and $20 fee.

    --

    peace,

    Rog

    http://www.slammingrooves.com

    "ooh big comeback from the non fan AKA little drummer boy"

    theRob in alt.sports.hockey.nhl.nj-devils
  12. -MIKE-

    -MIKE- Guest

    "Randal Walker" <randysdrums@cox.net> wrote:

    > I guess the reason I came off pissy with that is due in part to you have
    > never played on that show and yet you had such an insight to the goings on
    > at that gig. Those are the things that get me most.



    I heard those things from the producer, himself, so I wasn't
    claiming any insight. I think both of us are falling victim to
    inferring things in written text that aren't in the heart of the
    author. I apologize for judging you, thusly.


    -MIKE-

    --
    http://mikedrums.com
    mike@mikedrumsDOT.com
    ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
  13. -MIKE-

    -MIKE- Guest

    "Randal Walker" <randysdrums@cox.net> wrote:

    > I don't go out of my way to make cheap shots unlike others or other on
    > this group, but it gets old with the I know more than you attitude. Until
    > you have actually seen a contract or schedule for a clinic or done a TV
    > gig where you infact get only 2 minutes, then it should be left more as a
    > reference. That's all I am saying. The band got way more then 2 minutes on
    > the show, they got the whole show doing bumpers and a full performance,
    > that would be way out of the 2 minute context that you represented. Not
    > trying to pick fights all though I am sure one person in here is going to
    > try and turn this way around with a smart comment and I am not going to
    > say whom I think that is.



    As I said, in my email reply to your private email to me on this
    subject, I wasn't making that stuff up. The producer, and hosts,
    both said, on-air, that it was the producer's policy to only give
    groups two minutes. This was during the show, on which, James Brown
    walked off the set over the policy. Apparently, the policy has
    changed and I'm glad for my fellow musicians who will play on that
    show.


    -MIKE-

    --
    http://mikedrums.com
    mike@mikedrumsDOT.com
    ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
  14. >
    > I'll give him credit for his talent but lets face it.... the newest Tool
    > album is garbage.
    >


    That's subjective and I think you're wrong.

    Nick.
  15. Danny is doing some super cool stuff, and it is his own thing, a product of
    his background as a working club drummer. I read his interview way back in
    MD, and it made a lot of sense when he referred to his background as having
    come from the disco gig scene. Check out all the disco moves he has in the
    Tool stuff! It's great that he's taken all that gig experience, mixed it
    with some great chops, and it works as a voice in a hard rock/prog whatever
    thing. I think he's unique, and has as much insight to offer as any of the
    other names on that list. As with any art it's only worth what someone will
    pay for it.

    Mike


    "-MIKE-" <mike@mikedrumsDOT.com> wrote in message
    news:iwadncg3aLbCxdWiXTWJhQ@comcast.com...
    > > Probably my lack of exposure, but that doesn't change the fact that

    Danny
    > > Carey has a lot more to offer than most above-average drummers.
    > >
    > > Ben

    >
    >
    > Says who? What else does he have to offer?
    >
    > The fact that he's charging 20-40 bucks for something that those
    > *way* ahead of him are doing for free gives me one more reason to
    > *not* care what he has to offer.
    >
    >
    > -MIKE-
    >
    > --
    > http://mikedrums.com
    > mike@mikedrumsDOT.com
    > ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
    >
  16. -MIKE-

    -MIKE- Guest

    Mike, I was under the impression that it was a solo clinic. I have
    since been corrected, so my criticism is moot.


    -MIKE-

    --
    http://mikedrums.com
    mike@mikedrumsDOT.com
    ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

    > Danny is doing some super cool stuff, and it is his own thing, a product
    > of his background as a working club drummer. I read his interview way
    > back in MD, and it made a lot of sense when he referred to his background
    > as having come from the disco gig scene. Check out all the disco moves he
    > has in the Tool stuff! It's great that he's taken all that gig
    > experience, mixed it with some great chops, and it works as a voice in a
    > hard rock/prog whatever thing. I think he's unique, and has as much
    > insight to offer as any of the other names on that list. As with any art
    > it's only worth what someone will pay for it.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    >
    >>> Probably my lack of exposure, but that doesn't change the fact that
    >>> Danny Carey has a lot more to offer than most above-average drummers.
    >> >
    >> > Ben

    >>
    >>
    >> Says who? What else does he have to offer?
    >>
    >> The fact that he's charging 20-40 bucks for something that those
    >> *way* ahead of him are doing for free gives me one more reason to
    >> *not* care what he has to offer.
    >>
    >>
    >> -MIKE-
    >>

Share This Page