Do these sound okay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sjj8171984, Aug 31, 2004.

1. sjj8171984

sjj8171984 New Member

I have a website with .wav files of me playing the keyboard. I add files every now and then, and as far as I know, they sound good. I need honest opinions from people who don't know me. That way, it avoids the whole "just being nice" thing.

Disclaimer - I am not a musician. I self-taught myself how to play the piano. It's for fun.

Anyhoo, there are some crazy stuff on the site.

Here's the link
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I can easily fill in the other instruments mentally with your playing, so you've got the pieces down pat. :thumbsup: A trill here and there would soften the ridgeness of some songs, including the Tetris melody. My brother also plays by ear--he still does not know how to read sheet music, but plays some classics quite well. You're doing fine now, but he would find it much more rewarding to learn how to read sheet music for the long run.

On the technical side of things, you need to get your future songs encoded in MP3 or OGG, and you need a better synth. Straight WAV at low quality takes a while to upload and download, and ruins the potentially high quality of your music.

I have a completely free high-quality synth solution layed out for you. First, you should get a SoundFont engine. The hardware kind (EMU-10Kx) is the best, but there have been software alternatives made over the past few years, such as Timidity and SynthFont. Although SynthFont does not emulate hardware SoundFont engines perfectly, I think it is easy enough for anybody to use.

Download Synthfont from www.synthfont.com and load a SoundFont bank containing higher quality patches than what is usually available (GM.DLS :p ;)). Many SoundFonts are available online, but right now I also need someone I don't know to opinionate my work. Yesterday was the alpha release of my own SoundFont bank, ZSF GM v0.8a.

Download it here:
    http://www.websamba.com/Zandro/ZSF_GM_v0.8a.sfpack

SFPack is needed to extract it, and is available here:
    ftp://ftp.personalcopy.net/pub/SFPack.zip
    (Takes a few seconds to respond.)

After loading a SoundFont bank as default and loading your MIDI, set SynthFont to Play To File. Then, you should encode the WAV to MP3 for easier file sharing. I absolutely adore Right-Click to MP3, from here: http://www.execpc.com/MrShannon/rc-mp3/RcMP3v165.exe

P.S. Excellent song selection! I get chills from the classic Nintendo themes and the best television shows ever made. Continue practicing! You love it; therefore, you won't regret it!
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  3. sjj8171984

sjj8171984 New Member

What's a trill?

As for quality...it's just for fun. I'm only recording this stuff for some friends who wanted me to record myself. So I don't really care about quality. Plus, I'm using Angelfire webspace, so I intentionally reduced the quality for the sake of not using so much space.

Glad it sounds good.
  4. Zandro

Zandro New Member

A trill is an ornament consisting of a rapid alternation between two pitches- the main pitch, and the pitch a whole or half step above it.

:/ You want to save space, and yet you're using the worst compression available. In fact, WAV uses no compression at all. If you'd use MP3 files, the quality could be much higher and still be smaller than the files you have right now. But if it's just for friends, I guess there's no harm that could be dealt.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  5. sjj8171984

sjj8171984 New Member

Still don't understand "trill". This particular keyboard I use is not able to play notes any softer or louder than the main volume. It's not like a piano that you can press down softer and it plays softer. It's a sucky 100 dollar keyboard from Radio Shack.

And I guess I could try and do the mp3 thing. Better quality + smaller files = fine by me. Only problem with that is that I'm "not allowed" to upload mp3s to Angelfire. So I'll probably just stick with the wavs.
  6. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Trill is something like 12 12, very fast and truly without the need for velocity adjustments. Here... http://www.boomspeed.com/zandro/trill.mid I whipped this up in a couple minutes to show a couple common kinds of trill.. the Tenor in the beginning and the Soprano "roll" in the middle. P.S. It sounds awful on GM.DLS/Microsoft GS SW Synth.

Ohhh... I see. Yay Angelfire :rolleyes:. Well, OGG is an option if you're a Winamp user, but it is not yet mainstream enough that everybody will know what to do with it.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2004