does anyone like any japanese rock/pop bands?

Discussion in 'Artists/Band Discussion' started by auron_otaku, Jul 26, 2002.

1. auron_otaku

auron_otaku New Member

if so, which ones?
  2. halley

halley New Member

This isnt actually a Japanese band, but ever heard of a song called 'Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots'? It's soooooooooooooo coool.
  3. willi001

willi001 New Member

I would be interested in hearing some of the japanese music.Can you suggest some bands to check out???Thanks.
    Willi...:)
  4. varayut

varayut New Member

Kitaro the Great!
  5. danie

danie New Member

i've never heard any
  6. willi001

willi001 New Member

Actually I have heard Kitaro, and even have some of his music in my collection...Any suggestions on Japanese rock or alternative bands???
    Willi...
  7. oni

oni New Member

<b>Dir en grey</b> is a very good band. They are hard metal/industrial. Their sound is unique, so not everyone might like it.
    <b>Malice Mizer</b> is electronic/classical. They use many orchestra insturments, but they calloborate it with guitars and drums, with very unique singing.

<b>Gackt</b> I suppose would be classified as pop, but he does many different styles. Some of his songs, like <i>Lu:Na</i> and <i>Emu~for my dear</i> are rock, esp. Lu:Na, but <i>Vanilla</i> is a very upbeat, catchy song using very brassy sounds.

<b>Utada Hikaru</b> is definitely pop, using many strong vocals. I recommend <i>Traveling</i>, <i>Hikari</i>, <i>Uso Mitani I Love You</i>, and <i>Dorama</i>.

<b>Shinna Ringo</b> is very strong, almost screeching vocals reminscient of Bjork's eccentric singing style. I recommend <i>Identity</i>.

X Japan is old andrenaline rock, sounding somewhat of the older rock bands with their long guitar solos. <i>Rusty Nail</i>, <i> Forever Love</i>, <i> Rose of Pain</i>, <i>Crucify My Love</I> and <i>Blue Blood</i>.

The Pillows are just the best bands I have ever heard. Sometimes garage band punk, sometimes old 60s sound, its all very catchy. Highly recommend <i>Ride on Shooting Star</i>, <i>Juilet</i>, <i>Back Seat Dog</i>, <i>Skeleton Liar</i>, <i>Blues Drive Monster</i>, <i>Subhuman</i>, <i>One Life</i>, <i>Another Morning</i>, <i>Funny Bunny</i>, Hybrid Rainbow</i>, and <i>Trip Dancer</i>.
  8. mstrado

mstrado New Member

Hmmm my fav are "globe" "Utada hikaru" and "Ayumi hamazaki" Ayumi is current the hotest act in Japan. Her newest ablum title "rainbow"
  9. axeman

axeman New Member

Mad Capsule Markets. Their sound has been described as the soundtrack to a digital apocalypse....or something like that. Anyway they have about 9 albums out in Japan, but it was only their latest one that broke through to the UK. They sound like a more punky/metal version of Atari Teenage Riot.
  10. sarjhoshino

sarjhoshino New Member

My favorite jpop band would be Do As Infinity . . . as for artists, I like Utada Hikaru. :D
  11. Nigel Mulvey

Nigel Mulvey New Member

I used to listen to a few japanese bands. I like Y.M.O. and have a great compilation album with Hikashu, Akiko Yano, Earthling, Yukihiro Taka, Shoukichi Kina, Lizard and Salon Music on it. It's very 80's but I really like it still.

Nigel.
  12. mpau5

mpau5 New Member

I think one of the biggest bands in Japan at the moment are F4 I think they have a Japanese TV Series too called Meteor Rain some of there music is quite good but most of it sounds a little like " Take That " style.
  13. Qingy

Qingy New Member

Oo JRock s awesome! I just can't pick one o_O
  14. Hammsturabi

Hammsturabi New Member

The Pillows. They did most of the soundtrack for the FLCL show. I recommend 'Advice,' but the version without vocals because the guy sings annoyingly on that song,.
  15. johnsiy

johnsiy New Member

i'm interested in japanese music also, if some one can type down a playlist of hot japanese songs out there right now, it'll be greatly appreciated!
  16. ShootTheMoon

ShootTheMoon New Member

I enjoy Utada Hikaru, Mai Kuraki, Pizzicao Five, Ayumi Hamasaki, and I also enjoy some Korean and Vietnamese artists.
  17. EerieFreek

EerieFreek New Member

THE best - Ayumi Hamasaki (Ayu). She does everything (Pop, Rock, Indie, Trance, Classical, R&B) but her main thing is Pop Rock kinda stuff (her old music is mostly Pop, but I like her newer stuff).

Also a fan of Gackt (powerful male Rocker), Yaida Hitomi (eccentric female Pop Rocker), Shiina Ringo (insane Punk chick), Do As Infinity (Pop and Rock band with female vocalist) and Maaya Sakamoto (sweet female vocalist for loads of Anime stuff).

J-Pop and Rock is the best, man!

Click here for an English J-Pop/Rock site with samples and reviews
  18. dar

dar New Member

theres a japanese band that I like, they are sort of goth, called Malice Mizer, not got many songs though
  19. dae5dia

dae5dia New Member

omg, hikki kicks boot-ay. i like ayu and everything, but, she can get icky in the upper-range. I really like the song "ourselves" off the & single. I also like Kumi Koda (real emotion kicks ass), and i like Mika Nakashima (Love Addict is soooooo great!)
  20. PaPoNe

PaPoNe New Member

Ark_en_Ciel :Driver's High <--- from Great teacher onizuka's anime :) kool i love this song