download mp3s yes or no?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by brc 103, Jun 23, 2004.

?

should we download mp3's

1. yes

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

some do - some dont, do you think it is right to 'rip off' music from the internet?

2 sides to this story,

1- artist gets no money

2- artist gets no money anyway because of record companies getting young pretty faces to cover songs already done.

I'd love to hear your thoughts
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

I'm one of the few people who truly download MP3's for educational purposes.... True, I have occasionally gotten a song someone has suggested just for my own listen, but I never keep/burn those. What I DO do is download examples for the purpose of creating better musicians... an example being the time I was preparing students for jazz auditions and downloaded multiple versions of each song both instrumental and vocal to help them understand scat and how to imitate an instrument...

I may be the exception to the rule here ;)
  3. DarkMirror20

DarkMirror20 New Member

Yes

I think its a great way to sample new music, but if you really support the musician, buy the CD. That's what's gonna allow them to tour and stuff!
  4. MDniteStryKR

MDniteStryKR I'll come back to you when I'm dead! Staff Member Super Mod

I agree with Dark Mirror..in my case, i download the singles first and if i like em then i'd buy CD

and then again since i normally like only certain songs by a particular artist i'd rather download the desired mp3s instead of purchasing the whole CD
  5. jellymdx

jellymdx New Member

i agree with dark mirror too
  6. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

well as long as everyones got an excuse well I guess its alright then..:rolleyes:
  7. willi001

willi001 New Member

Have you ever gone to a concert??? Shirts are at least $40 a pop,and the price to get in is what $50-to $150 bucks!! They make huge bucks on sales, not just on CD sales...I am a musician and I played professonally for quite a few years. We always made more money on periferal sales(IE:shirts and hats and stickers and underwear Etc) than on CD sales..The recording companies get their cut for sure, but we've been paying through the teeth for many many years now. I think downloading songs is okay!! Since they brought in the tax on any recordable medium, such as CD's, Floppies,and tapes they made it okay once they made us pay for it.!!!! That's just my humble opinion!
  8. bluechips

bluechips New Member

i download MP3s for sampling and then buy the full albums
  9. Louis83sr

Louis83sr New Member

without mp3 i 'd be a poor guy...
  10. djkommish6

djkommish6 New Member

i do it to hear the music and then be a judge of whether I want to spend 15 dollars on the cd...