downloading and using midis.

Discussion in 'Web Sites' started by AutumnAngel, Jun 30, 2002.

1. AutumnAngel

AutumnAngel New Member

all this is just too hard for me :) i'm trying to put a midi on my homepage, but it's just not working. i've tried all sorts of help forums, but none of them have worked. so could someone give me the step by steps for downloading a midi from this site, and then embeding it into my homepage? i downloaded a midi already, and tried using that, but when i went to my ftp space to upload it, it couldn't find the file (or maybe it couldn't use it, so that's why it wouldn't find it.) help!!
  2. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Angel,
    Glad you came here for help. I've answered this question many times.

Now, do you want the MIDI file to be imbedded into your page or do you want it just linked to, so when people click on it, it opens?

If you want it imbedded, in your body tag of the page insert
    PHP:
    bgsound="MIDIFILE.mid"
    Make sure that the location of the file is correct. If you upload it to your root directory and it doesn't work, than put a / in front of the file name. like /MIDIFILE.mid If it's in a sub-directory such as 'midi' than point the file location to /midi/MIDIFILE.mid Of course MIDIFILE would be the name of your file.

If you want a clickable link than just link to the file like you would another page.
    PHP:
    <a href="MIDIFILE.mid" alt="MIDIFILE NAME"MIDIFILE NAME </a>
    Again, note where the file is located.

It gets more complicated with MIDI javascript players and such. If you want to get into that I'lll dig up a couple examples for you.

Hope this Helps :)
  3. AutumnAngel

AutumnAngel New Member

thank you soo much. i'm trying to imbed the music. i've finally got the midi uploaded and i can get it into the page, but it still won't play. it tries to, but i can't get it to not use window's music player, which is far too large for a homepage to load. how do i fix that?
  4. sbouda

sbouda New Member

Simple one line...;)